PDA

View Full Version : Venue Distorts using XLR

maprik
08-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Hello,

Can anyone help me with this problem? When I connect my Venue to the PA using a standard cable my guitar sounds great. But when I connect to the PA using the XLR cable I overdrive the PA and I hear distortion. I think this is a line level signal so I can't figure out why I am overdriving the PA and how to reduce the gain. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil

Bryan McManus
08-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Hi Maprik,

If the XLR signal to the PA was not previously at a comparable level to that of the 1/4" to the PA, you should first investigate whether there is a pad(attenuator) switch on the PA channel you're connected to. The channel inputs of many PA heads and mixers have such an attenuator to address hot signals from a variety of sources.

If the XLR input of the PA channel has one, engage it and observe the result.

If there is no pad switch, it may be necessary to compare your Venue DI to another Venue DI, if available.

Father John
09-15-2011, 02:24 AM
When I connect my Venue to the PA using a standard cable my guitar sounds great. But when I connect to the PA using the XLR cable I overdrive the PA and I hear distortion. I think this is a line level signal so I can't figure out why I am overdriving the PA and how to reduce the gain.
Most desks are set to get line via 1/4" and mic leve via XLR. As Bryan points out you should engage the pad (or switch the mic/line switch to line) if available on the XLR channel, but it's no surprise that a line level signal over XLR is unexpected at the other end.

jimmymacq
03-06-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm glad I joined this forum. I'm having the same problem. It sounds like the high end is really breaking up when I'm running sound and when I'm playing the feed through my monitor (just me) is breaking up too. Did you ever come up with a solution? I'm ready to try something other than the venue to get past this.

Thanks,

Jim