PDA

View Full Version : LR Baggs Technical Support On The Forum

Bryan McManus
01-13-2011, 09:09 AM
Hi everybody and welcome to the LR Baggs fan site forum!

I am the technical support guy at LR Baggs.

If you have questions, comments or concerns regarding application, installation or use of LR Baggs products, you can reach us here or at [email protected]

CAguitarplayer
01-15-2011, 10:16 AM
I have an iMix system in my acoustic and the battery compartment came loose and will not latch anymore. It looks like there may be a small pin or screw of some sort missing, which is supposed to latch the compartment in place when you change out batteries. Is this an easy fix or will I need to order a new part? If so, is it possible to order such a minor part?

Michael Newsom
01-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi CAguitarplayer,

sometimes the pin will brake loose. Please e-mail your address to [email protected] and I will send you one as soon as I am back in the office. We have been at the NAMM show for about a week.

Thanks,
Michael Newsom
Marketing Director

Hecube
01-20-2011, 03:14 PM
I bought a Venue last summer and it works fine except in one situation: when it's powered by a power-supply. When I use a power-supply, there's a noticeable hum. I tried everything: ground-lift, different power-supply, different outlet, different house.

My unit is still under warranty. Is there something I'm doing wrong or should I turn it in for repairs?

Bryan McManus
01-21-2011, 08:07 AM
I bought a Venue last summer and it works fine except in one situation: when it's powered by a power-supply. When I use a power-supply, there's a noticeable hum. I tried everything: ground-lift, different power-supply, different outlet, different house.

My unit is still under warranty. Is there something I'm doing wrong or should I turn it in for repairs?
It depends on the power supply. The Venue's DC input is filtered to prevent noise from a wide variety of power supplies but there are still many that can induce a hum or buzz in the signal. Power supplies designed specifically for analog signal path devices are most compatible with the Venue DI.

We strongly recommend the 1-Spot power supply made by Visual Sound.

Power supplies designed or provided for use with digital signal processors or effects are most likely to cause a noise.

Hecube
01-21-2011, 08:21 AM
It depends on the power supply. The Venue's DC input is filtered to prevent noise from a wide variety of power supplies but there are still many that can induce a hum or buzz in the signal. Power supplies designed specifically for analog signal path devices are most compatible with the Venue DI.

We strongly recommend the 1-Spot power supply made by Visual Sound.

Power supplies designed or provided for use with digital signal processors or effects are most likely to cause a noise.

Thanks. I'll be sure to try that. I'll keep you informed...

gps
01-23-2011, 02:45 AM
Hi, I have a Para Di. I have had trouble finding a y cable to use for the effects loop (I'm in the uk). I would want to have a tuner, eq/boost, a looper and perhaps a chorus in the effect loop. As i can't find a cable, my questions are
1 Is it ok to put the effects in a chain in front of the DI?
2 Can you recommend where I can order, in the UK, a Y cable that would be suitable for the effects loop.
Thanks

Brooks A Hood
01-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Hi - Gibson SJ-150 in for repairs with a DOA Element. Saddle issues resolved and pickup is now working albeit with excessive handling noise. I wire clamped the pickup at the exit hole under the bridge and still the handling noise is excessive. To give you an example - playing a Dsus4 chord you actually HEAR your pinky finger hitting the fingerboard through the amp. This is a factory install and I did not see a black dot to indicate correct orientation of the element. Thanks for any help you can provide.

garett89
01-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Hello I have a simon and patrick with a lrbaggs duet pickup my input jack was pulled out and the wires unhooked can anyone tell me which goes where. Its a TRS jack and the wires are blue / whiteish see through / red / black / bare . any helps is greatly appriciated. Thanks

Bryan McManus
01-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Hi, I have a Para Di. I have had trouble finding a y cable to use for the effects loop (I'm in the uk). I would want to have a tuner, eq/boost, a looper and perhaps a chorus in the effect loop. As i can't find a cable, my questions are
1 Is it ok to put the effects in a chain in front of the DI?
2 Can you recommend where I can order, in the UK, a Y cable that would be suitable for the effects loop.
ThanksThe optimum search term is "Insert Cable." If you google, go there, click shopping, type insert cable in the search bar and you should get a host of online sellers.

Bryan McManus
01-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi - Gibson SJ-150 in for repairs with a DOA Element. Saddle issues resolved and pickup is now working albeit with excessive handling noise. I wire clamped the pickup at the exit hole under the bridge and still the handling noise is excessive. To give you an example - playing a Dsus4 chord you actually HEAR your pinky finger hitting the fingerboard through the amp. This is a factory install and I did not see a black dot to indicate correct orientation of the element. Thanks for any help you can provide.If you live in an area with good guitar store options, it may serve you to have the nearest Gibson dealer, or a farther one if they're better, have a look at the pickup installation. If you're inclined to trace the problem yourself, I would assess how close to or far from the hole your wire clamp is, whether it is holding the wire tightly or loosely. If the clip is too close to the hole, it can have less effect on wire microphonics. If it's too far or holds the wire too loosely, about the same.

Bryan McManus
01-31-2011, 10:40 PM
Hello I have a simon and patrick with a lrbaggs duet pickup my input jack was pulled out and the wires unhooked can anyone tell me which goes where. Its a TRS jack and the wires are blue / whiteish see through / red / black / bare . any helps is greatly appriciated. ThanksDid you send an email to [email protected]? If so, sorry for the delay.

If not, the answer for connecting to a 3-conductor jack is:

RED to TIP
BLACK to RING
BARE to GROUND

The blue and the clear-ish wires go unused as they were for an optional 5-conductor jack with splitter box that was briefly available as an accessory for the original Duet system.

Brooks A Hood
02-01-2011, 04:08 AM
Bryan - thanks for the reply. I am a luthier and was repairing the guitar for the owner. Something seemed fishy with it though since all the wires were in a knot hanging in the middle of the guitar when I first got it. The wire clip is as close as possible to the hole as I could get it with respect to the bracing. Clamped tightly. After that, the rest of the pickup had no real place to be attached since it would not reach the location where I clamped the volume control and battery wires. I wire clamped it to the top and tried to have it as tight as possible. I am considering clamping the pickup in a small piece of foam to isolate it.

Again, thanks for any insight.

Bryan McManus
02-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi Brooks,

In the next to last sentence in your paragraph, you mentioned clamping the wire to the top. Is that a second anchor to the top or the one close to the hole leading to the saddle slot? If it is a second point at which the pickup wire is anchored to the top, it should be moved to either the side or back of the inside of the body. Aside from the one anchor point for the pickup(which is crucial, to be sure), it should not be wire clipped to the soundboard at any other location.

Brooks A Hood
02-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Thanks again Bryan - Yes, I did clamp it again to the top. My bad. I will get it clamped to the side after I get in touch with the owner. If that doesn´t get rid of the handling noise (really strong - even when everything was just dangling in the middle of the guitar) is it possible to use foam or something to isolate it better ? Unfortunately we have not had any active distribution of Baggs products here for several years and the Element is not a system that I have seen too much of. I have encouraged the dealer to order several Anthem pickups (which he has done @ NAMM).

Thanks again.

Bryan McManus
02-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi Brooks,

Making sure the Element wire is anchored to the top at approximately 1-1.5" from the hole, and that being the only soundboard anchor, should eliminate the handling noise or at least reduce it greatly.

If it persists, contact us directly for more info or to arrange for testing and repair or replacement.

Brooks A Hood
02-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Ok Brian - I will get it taken care of - thanks again.

a61strat
03-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Bryan, I'm looking for a pdf of a document that used to be included with either your LB-6 pickup, or the old TRS input mixer preamp which was discontinued long ago. The document related to wiring up various types of mic capsules such as the Joe Mills or Crown GLM200E.

Specifically, I would like to add a Crown GLM200 to the ring-sleeve pins of your strap-jack, while the M1-Active uses tip-sleeve.

In the document I'm searching for, the Crown GLM200E was wired with one of the leads to ground with an intermediary resistor-capacitor. I don't remember the values or the wiring.

Thanks, and best regards.

John

Bryan McManus
03-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Hi John,

The documentation I think you're looking for is something we provided with our Mixpro external belt-clip preamp/mixer.

I don't have a way to link a pdf to this reply. If you email this question to [email protected] I will reply with the microphone supplement pdf.

dreaminglad
03-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Duet 1: Does any one know where i can get specs and wiring diagram

DUET 1: DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET SPECS AND WIRING DIAGRAM ???
I DO LOVE THIS OLD PICKUP TRYING TO FIX IT
THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE !!:confused:

Bryan McManus
03-07-2011, 08:45 AM
Hi Dreaminglad,

I'm sorry to say the original Duet is so long out of production that I don't have much in the way of old literature for that product. I can recommend updating the guitar's pickup system to something currently available. Our Stage Pro Element system will just barely cover the mounting pattern for that original Duet.

Replied to similar message received at [email protected]

scrondle
05-03-2011, 08:07 AM
I'm installing an xbridge on a MIM strat. I am not using the onboard preamp. The wiring looks correct to me, but the magnetic pickup will not work unless the xbridge volume is on. I'm guessing that maybe something isn't grounded, but I am having a hard time trouble shooting. Can you help me with a little guidance regarding how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Kjel

Bryan McManus
05-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Hi Kjel,

Is there any point in the circuit where the magnetic and X-Bridge signals are connected? Are they connected to the same contact on any pot or at the output jack?

6strings2
06-11-2011, 01:00 PM
I am waiting for a luthier made custom to be finished. My Martin HD-28 was rece destroyed when an airline dropped a shipping container on it. Picked up a Martin GPCPA3 with an F1 to keep me going. Question is this? I had only just gotten a DI for the HD. With the F1, how do I deconflict the two or is the DI needed? Id prefer to use the DI but it appears the GPCPA3 pre-wired with its own image. I like the latitude- mixing ability I have with the DI. Am I missing the key to the F1? I would think the DI gives me more flexibility. Sorry to sound like a Fishman newbie-I am.

Bryan McManus
06-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Hi 6Strings2,

I'm sorry to say you're not in the right place for info about the Fishman F1. You've found your way to the LR Baggs discussion forum. If you should have questions about any LR Baggs products or how other devices may interact with them, we're here to help.

JSeth
07-09-2011, 09:03 PM
Hello Bryan! I've talked to you several times; before I had the Anthems installed (by the Guitar shoppe, Laguna Beach), and when I had questions about the perceived change in volume and tone (while unplugged), as well as the difference in output between the 6 and 12 string Anthem SL's I have...

You probably don't remember me, but I remember you! Thank you so much for your time and patience with all my questions; I have told many people about your advice and helpfulness...

And I just wanted to say "Thanks!", again...

play on................................................ .................>

John

Figgie
07-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I need the wiring diagram for a strap jack with just a ground, red, & white wire. The I have on my guitar was twisted off when I was trying to tighten it. Can anyone tell me where to get it.

GeraldG
07-17-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure exactly how LR Baggs does it, but typical wiring for a 1/4" jack (IIRC) would be red wire to tip, white wire to ring, and grd (shield) to sleeve. If it's a switching jack, then there may be another wire (probably black) that goes to the switch terminal. But...I'm betting Bryan will be on here in a bit and provide the real scoop.

6stings2
07-20-2011, 07:30 AM
Have an odd problem. My primary guitar was smashedc by a baggage contrainer -dont fly united!

I have a luthier making me a new guitar but still have several months to wait. I picked up a Martin GPCPA3 to do some gigging but have an Aura DI already.

By not turning on the onboard imaging on the Martin, I assume that Im getting the best sound quality out of the Aural. However I want to make sure there is nothing I need to do to deconflict the somewhat wheezy onboard Martin F1 from the full up Aura imaging box. Im not seeing its image on the software. I assume that means its technically optimized by the F1. However the sound Im getting from the full box is far better. Which way do I go?

Bryan McManus
07-20-2011, 07:41 AM
I need the wiring diagram for a strap jack with just a ground, red, & white wire. The I have on my guitar was twisted off when I was trying to tighten it. Can anyone tell me where to get it.
Answered via email from [email protected]

Bryan McManus
07-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Have an odd problem. My primary guitar was smashedc by a baggage contrainer -dont fly united!

I have a luthier making me a new guitar but still have several months to wait. I picked up a Martin GPCPA3 to do some gigging but have an Aura DI already.

By not turning on the onboard imaging on the Martin, I assume that Im getting the best sound quality out of the Aural. However I want to make sure there is nothing I need to do to deconflict the somewhat wheezy onboard Martin F1 from the full up Aura imaging box. Im not seeing its image on the software. I assume that means its technically optimized by the F1. However the sound Im getting from the full box is far better. Which way do I go?

Hi 6stings,

I'm unable to comment on the Aura product as they are not made by LR Baggs. You should be able to find information and support at www.fishman.com

On the subject of United airlines and damaged guitars, Dave Carroll's response to his experience with United has cost them dearly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

GeraldG
07-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Hi Bryan (or Caleb)....quick question regarding installation of the Anthem System. I have an Anthem system on order....I'm going to check it out on my Martin HD-28. What bridge saddle material do you recommend for this installation? The guitar came with a bone nut and saddle, but I can easily cut a Tusq saddle. Would that be better than bone for the UST?

Caleb_Elling
07-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Hi GereldG,
I prefer bone for use with any Element equipped system. I've done several Anthem installs now, and bone has almost been the best in every situation. However, in some cases bone does not capture the exact tone of the guitar, so tusk or micarta usually work as an alternate. I would definitely try using both and seeing which one fits your guitar's tone the best.

Bryan McManus
07-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Hi Gerald,

I can add to what Caleb said regarding saddle material. Bone is the most preferred saddle material but, because it's organic, can have variations in its grain density that affect how string energy is conducted to the soundboard. Where it may not be detected acoustically, bone saddles on undersaddle pickups can result in a string-to-string imbalance. Cutting an identical saddle from a different piece of bone will most often correct a balance issue though in some cases it can cause a different imbalance. It's difficult to know ahead of time.

Micarta and Tusq are man-made to simulate bone and are of very consistent density throughout. Micarta is a bit softer and a little easier to work with, filing and sanding and such. On the other end, Tusq is reasonably harder, takes a bit more elbow grease to shape and makes for a slightly brighter tone.

Bone and Micarta are Lloyd Baggs' preferred saddle materials.

GeraldG
07-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks, Guys! That helps. I'll just start out with the bone saddle and if that doesn't work, I'll cut a micarta saddle, and then move to Tusq if the micarta doesn't work. Cutting a saddle is no big deal.

Ptaszyna
07-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Hello! I damaged the Ribbon Transducer in 5 string, acoustic bass guitar - Godin A5 fretted. It consists of two parts of lengths 43 and 57mm. First takes the signal from 2, next from 3 strings. Your dealer in Poland claims that you do not offer this pickup so I'm writing directly to you. Can you help me somehow?

Radek.

http://catv.retsat1.com.pl/wrobel/zdjecia/lrb.jpg

Bryan McManus
07-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Hi Ptaszyma,

Ribbon Transducers, while no longer part of our promoted product line, are still available as replacements. Please contact me at [email protected] or at 805-929-3545, ext. 111, for more info or to order the part(s).

Hooty
09-13-2011, 02:59 PM
I had a new iMix system installed in my custom guitar which I purchased in July 2011 and there seems to be a problem with the gain pot on the pre-amp. The manual states that in order to balance the output of the element and the iBeam, the gain adjustment should be used to vary the iBeam output. When I try to do this on my guitar, the gain adjusts both the iBeam and the Element pickup. I am also experiencing some distortion when the volume is turned up. I think there may be a problem with the pre-amp. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Bryan McManus
09-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Hi Hooty,

By that description, it sure sounds like a problem. To confirm that, it would be good for us to have the preamp in for testing and repair or replacement.

If you have further questions or would like to arrange to send it in for service, please contact [email protected] or 805-929-3545, ext. 111.

Anton
09-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Hello! Will you answer a couple of questions, please? I want to buy a piezo-pickup for electric guitar with Ctrl-X preamp. If a battery needs only for this piezo-pickup or magnetic pickups will not sound too with the run-down battery?
And here is the second question. I can't use the L. R. Baggs X-Bridge piezo-pickup because I have Fender Mexican Strat with another distance between strings and between screws than one on American Strats. Even screwing new holes in the guitar body can't solve the problem because mexican necks has smaller width than american, so the strings will be too close to the edge of the neck. But can I use the Graphtech Ghost saddles with piezo-pickups connected to the L. R. Baggs X-Bridge preamp? If yes, do you know about possible features of installing or sound of this configuration? I don't want to use the Graphtech AcoustiPhonic preamp because it needs a battery even for using magnetic pickups, it's very bad for me.
Thanks!

Bryan McManus
09-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi Anton,

I confirmed that a guitar with a piezo bridge and the CTRL-X will pass magnetic signal if the battery dies or is removed. Only the piezo signal will be affected.

Anton
10-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Thank you!
And what about the possibility of using Graphtech Ghost piezo pickups with L. R. Baggs Ctrl-X preamp? Can you say something about it?

Bryan McManus
10-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Hi Anton,

The CTRL-X was designed to apply a nominal +3dB of gain to the piezo signal by the presence of the FET transistor at its input. The piezo pickup needs to be of relatively high output(like that of the LR Baggs X-Bridge or T-Bridge signals) so it can be attenuated, if necessary, to match the level of the magnetic pickup(s).

I'm fairly certain the Ghost pickups should be of high enough output for compatibility with the CTRL-X.

Anton
10-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanx a lot! :))

adrian
10-22-2011, 11:13 AM
HI Bryan. My 9 volt battery for my older godin LRBaggs 12 string has come unsoldered from the circuit board on the top of the guitar. Where on the board do I raattach the - and +? Thanks, Adrian

Bryan McManus
10-24-2011, 08:04 AM
HI Bryan. My 9 volt battery for my older godin LRBaggs 12 string has come unsoldered from the circuit board on the top of the guitar. Where on the board do I raattach the - and +? Thanks, AdrianIt will depend on which circuit that guitar is using.

What is the model name of the guitar?

What's the control layout and location?

One 9V battery or two?

TerryLiberty
10-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Hi Bryan:

I have a Fender flattop with a factory pickup that has died on me. I'm thinking about replacing the Fender component with an Anthem. My questions are these:

1. I used the current rig with an Baggs Para Acoustic DI. I liked it for its ability to add gain, provide EQ and a notch. Will the use of a PADI be possible and/or needed with the Anthem?

2. The current Fender wiring exits the body through a 1/4" jack in the lower bout. I see that the Anthem installation instructions call for a 1/2" hole in the tail block instead. Will I still be able to use the current hole or will I need to drill the tail block?

Thanks!!

Terry
Olympia, WA

Bryan McManus
10-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi Terry,

1. The Para Acoustic D.I. is not required for interfacing the Anthem to an amp or PA system but it can be just as useful for optimizing gain, dialing in a better tone with its EQ and its signal routing capabilities.

2. Provided the output jack location is sturdy enough, the endpin jack can be mounted on the lower bout. for the endpin jack, however, I'm inclined to suggest you add some reinforcement to the inside of the mounting location.

TerryLiberty
10-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi Terry,

1. The Para Acoustic D.I. is not required for interfacing the Anthem to an amp or PA system but it can be just as useful for optimizing gain, dialing in a better tone with its EQ and its signal routing capabilities.

2. Provided the output jack location is sturdy enough, the endpin jack can be mounted on the lower bout. for the endpin jack, however, I'm inclined to suggest you add some reinforcement to the inside of the mounting location.

Bryan:

Thanks for the quick response! That's very helpful. I'm glad I can keep the PADI in the circuit path. It's been very useful. I'll plan on adding some extra material to the inside of the lower bout in order to stiffen it at that point. Maybe something 2" square and 3/16" thick or so, shaped to fit the contour of the lower bout. I can rig up some kind of through-hole clamp to hold it in place while the glue dries.

Mahalo nui loa!

Terry
Olympia, WA

Tim Olsen
10-25-2011, 05:02 PM
This is possibly a dumb question [I'm just a piano player], but our school was given a Babicz Spider acoustic with the "Element" unit mounted in it. Both on the Babicz webpage and here on lrbaggs.com the photos and specs on this unit show a small battery drawer that pops out. My unit doesn't have a battery compartment that I can see. The front has volume, treble, mid, and bass pots as well as a little green "battery" light but I'll be @#$%^& if I can figure out where the battery goes... I unscrewed the thing from its mounting but didn't see any battery or battery connectors. Any help?

Bryan McManus
10-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Hi Tim,

Please call 805-929-3545, ext. 111, at your convenience to discuss the battery holder in that side-mounted preamp.

jonkoo
11-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Hi there,

I had a tiny problem with my battery end pin and wire.

While playing the bag came loose and dropped down towards the strapjack resulting in yanking the battery connector wire and snapping it at the endpin on the pickup.

I have taken out the endpin and now there is some wire stuck in one side and I can't seem to remove it with a pair of tweezers. Is there a replacement I can buy locally (malaysia) or from LR Baggs?

Hope you could help me out here...

Thanks! :)

Bryan McManus
11-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Hi Jonkoo,

I apologize for the delay.

Do I understand correctly that the system's battery lead was damaged or broken?

If so, that should not be a hard part to find. If you have trouble locating an equivalent in your locale, please email your mailing address to [email protected] and I'll send a replacement battery lead for the endpin preamp.

jonkoo
11-23-2011, 06:43 AM
Hi Bryan,

The cable was damaged and I can find a replacement for the cable but not the endpin because I can't seem to remove some of the lead/wire that was caught inside the endpin.

Maybe I can upload a picture of the damage? Maybe you can advise me further from thereon.

Thanks again,

Jon

Bryan McManus
11-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Hi Jon,

If you can, please post a photo here or email it to [email protected]

zachbrock
12-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Hi Bryan,

I recently purchased a Venue D.I. and I am having very bad ground hum problems when I use the effects loop. I actually returned my first Venue D.I. thinking that it was broken yet I'm having the same exact issues with my second Venue D.I. The lift helps a bit but there is still audible noise and I can't really use an amp with it at all. When I don't use the loop everything is totally silent and great. I need to be able to run the D.I. output to an amp and also send XLR from the Venue D.I. to the house.

I have been using the Para Acoustic D.I. for over 5 years with an insert cable, the same effects, and zero noise issues.

Do you have some suggestions as to how I should go about trouble-shooting this? I really want to make the Venue work because the overall sound is amazing. But I also really MUST be able to use the loop or it's a deal-breaker.

Thanks for your help. You guys make amazing stuff.

Zach Brock
http://www.zachbrock.com

djhtex
12-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Hello Bryan,

I have two M1 Active pickups on Martin guitars and I would like to ask a question.

I know the instructions say to disconnect the cable lead from the guitar when not in use to save the life of the battery.

Can I leave the cable lead connected at the guitars and unplug the cable at the amplifier.

Would this not be the same thing?

Look forward to your response.

HAVE A GREAT DAY.

Bryan McManus
12-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi djhtex,

With the M1Active, the 1/8” output jack is a RTS and the provided output harness intended for mounting in the guitar’s tail block is also TRS. The M1A’s internal preamp doesn’t get switched on until you plug into the 1/4” output jack with a MONO instrument cable.

Because of that, you need to unplug from the 1/4” output jack in the guitar in order to switch the preamp off.

Leaving the MONO instrument cable in the guitar should keep the preamp on and consume the battery in approximately 1000 plugged-in hours.

TerryLiberty
01-11-2012, 07:02 PM
Bryan:

Thanks for the quick response! That's very helpful. I'm glad I can keep the PADI in the circuit path. It's been very useful. I'll plan on adding some extra material to the inside of the lower bout in order to stiffen it at that point. Maybe something 2" square and 3/16" thick or so, shaped to fit the contour of the lower bout. I can rig up some kind of through-hole clamp to hold it in place while the glue dries.

Mahalo nui loa!

Terry
Olympia, WA

Here's a follow-on question from our posts on 10/24/2011. The install went very well in the Fender and the Anthem system sounds super. I went ahead and mounted the endpin jack in the tail block and it worked just fine. I'm now the proud owner of a new Seagull Maritime dreadnought and would dearly love to transfer the Anthem system over to the new guitar. I won't be playing the Fender much anymore and buying a new Anthem system for the Seagull would be pretty spendy for my budget. So how do you get an Anthem system out of a guitar without damaging either the system or the instrument? The adhesives used to hold the components in seem pretty mighty.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Terry

Bryan McManus
01-12-2012, 08:46 AM
So how do you get an Anthem system out of a guitar without damaging either the system or the instrument? The adhesives used to hold the components in seem pretty mighty.
If it's the standard Anthem preamp unit with its three adhesive pads, our best recommendation is to push down on the front corner closest to the fingerboard and very carefully filet through the adhesive pad with an exacto knife. The adhesive is strong but the foam is not too dense to be easily cut. Harder to tear, though, so I wouldn't just try to push harder on the corner. Once that corner's adhesive is cut apart, do the other front corner. Now, you can push slowly down on the front corners with enough leverage to gradually separate or tear through the larger adhesive pad on the back end of the preamp. When the preamp is separate from the top, work at any remaining adhesive pad material with your fingertips. It should come off fairly easily.

Please contact me directly at [email protected] or 805-929-3545, ext. 111, for info about a "transplant kit" with all adhesives needed to move the system to another guitar.

TerryLiberty
01-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Bryan:

Got it. I'll send you an e-mail about the transplant kit.

How about the process of removing the pickup that's glued to the underside of the soundboard under the bridge? Would a similar process of slicing through the foam work?

Thanks.

Terry

JamesFarquhar
01-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Hey Bryan,
Is it possible to use the T-Bridge with active EMG pickups ?

marco440
01-21-2012, 05:26 AM
Hi
I wrote to you last week at [email protected] but I don't have received any reply untill now
I try now on the forum

I bought an element active system piezo (for nylon string) from an authorised vendor in italy.
A very expert liutist mounted it on my classical admira guitar.

My problem is that 2nd e 3rd strings play louder than the other 4 strings and this is very annoying. This is true also tapping over the saddle (in coincidence of the strings)

I’ll back to the liutist soon but I need to know if there is something that I can do myself (liutist is far from me) o something I could know or tell to the liutist.

at your opinion What is the issue?

Thank you for your attention

Marco – Italy

steveearlefan
01-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Hey Bryan...I have a Venue DI that's about a year or two old and recently it has been producing a crunchy almost overdriven sound through a PA...panning to one side seems to solve it, but I'd like to know how I can get it back to proper working order...thanks!

Sean

Hecube
02-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Thanks. I'll be sure to try that. I'll keep you informed...

Just an update on my problem. All the while I kept playing with a battery but now I just bought a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 + and the problem simply vanished.

morgdan
03-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Hi, I have an Element Active. It sounds great but seems to have a fairly low output level when compared to my other guitar with the same system. Assuming that it is installed correctly (because I've done exhaustive troubleshooting on the installation and so I'm looking for other answers), is there any way with a meter (or otherwise) to actually test the output and see if the problem is possibly in the preamp? (Battery is good, the pickup itself seems to have even response from bass to treble).

I put a volt meter (with the switch at 200m VDC) on a guitar cable plugged in and got these results: 0.4 on the quiet one and 0.8 on the loud one. Does that mean anything? Both guitars give identical readings in ohms (16.8 with the dial at 20K).

MikeW
03-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I currently use the I Beam passive in two of my guitars and run through a Para DI with great results.

I'm thinking of picking a used M1A for another guitar. Can I order extra pole pieces through LR Baggs?

Caleb_Elling
03-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the Forum.
We are always happy to supply replacement pole pieces, most of the time we'll replace them for free. However, if you are buying a used M1 and it looks like the poles for the B and high E string are missing, they are probably still there. The factory setting for those two poles are much deeper than the others. So if that's the case, you might not need replacements.

The M1 poles are sensitive to the metallic core of the strings. The B string has the thickest core of all of the strings, so the pole is lower to balance the output of all six strings.

-Caleb E.
Tech Support

istahota
03-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Hello all & thanks Bryan -

I have a Tribeca guitar [circa 2007] that came with a LR Baggs Element installed on board at the factory. It sounds great. But I can not get the battery compartment open
for love or money! The battery is exhausted and I need to change it, but when I press in on the top -it gives- but then it does not release. It is stuck. Can you please
help? Or will I need to take it to a luthier to have it "repaired"?
Thanks,
Pete

Bryan McManus
03-19-2012, 08:07 AM
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the heads-up on this issue. Can you describe the control layout or reply with a digital picture of the face of the unit? I may know something specific about it I could recall if I could see which model it is.

morgdan
03-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Any ideas from Support? I'd love to hear...

Hi, I have an Element Active. It sounds great but seems to have a fairly low output level when compared to my other guitar with the same system. Assuming that it is installed correctly (because I've done exhaustive troubleshooting on the installation and so I'm looking for other answers), is there any way with a meter (or otherwise) to actually test the output and see if the problem is possibly in the preamp? (Battery is good, the pickup itself seems to have even response from bass to treble).

I put a volt meter (with the switch at 200m VDC) on a guitar cable plugged in and got these results: 0.4 on the quiet one and 0.8 on the loud one. Does that mean anything? Both guitars give identical readings in ohms (16.8 with the dial at 20K).

Bryan McManus
04-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi Morgdan,

I apologize for the delay.

There are a lot of factors that can influence output from a pickup system installed into a given guitar. If one guitar is short scale(24.75") and one is long(25.5"), and the two guitars have the same gauge strings, you can expect slightly higher tension in the long scale guitar to achieve the same pitch. Also, if one guitar has a taller saddle or a steeper break-angle where the strings lead from the saddle into the pinholes, it can mean more string energy gets into the pickup with that guitar than with the other.

Does the difference in plugged-in output translate into the guitars acoustically, meaning is the guitar that is louder when plugged in also louder when played unplugged with the same intensity?

anDy18
04-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Hi there, I apologize if my question has been addressed in a previous thread. I am interested in either an M1 Active pick-up or the new M80 and I am not sure what would be the
best simplistic configuration for me to get the most out of it. Would I need to use a DI, or could I go straight to a PA board from the pick-up. If I needed a DI, would a Baggs Para DI be the best fit or would it's preamp conflict with the M80 used in Active mode? Any thoughts and tips would be appreciated.

Christian
04-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Hi Andy,
The M80 is the newest pickup in our magnetic series and has a very different sound than the M1A. If you are looking for a more natural sound, the M80 is the direction to take, however, a lot of people really like the sound they can get from an M1A. Take a look at our youtube channel to see which you prefer: http://www.youtube.com/user/lrbaggsmedia

It is not necessary to have a DI with either system, but the extra EQ and boost in signal is always a nice option to have. If you are going to be running long cables to the board (30+ feet) it is a good idea to use the DI so the signal is shielded from outside interference. Since our preamps use high quality components the signal stays very clean and therefore there is no negative effect to having them inline with an active pickup. In fact, when we are at trade shows we always run our active systems through a Venue DI.

If any of this isn't clear feel free to respond or give us a call here at the office for further explanation.

-Christian
805-929-3545

isrvel
04-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Hi Bryan. I have a Larrivee with the Element notch system and the contacts in the inside of the strapjack have gone a bit loose so when I use a normal jack i get pop noises all the time if the jack moves a little bit. I'm about to buy a replacement for it but I'm not sure which is the exact piece i need.

The strapjack looks exactly like this (LR Baggs M1-C2):

http://www.bluestarmusic.net/images/ebay/baggs_m1a-c1.jpg

But in the specs the seller says it's the strapjack for the M1 active or passive pickups. Not sure if you use the same strapjack for my pickup system.

Can you please confirm if this is the right one for replacement.

Thank you.

Bryan McManus
04-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Hi Isrvel,

I can confirm that the part shown in the picture is the M1C2. It is used by the Element-Notch, both versions of the Stagepro system and all the magnetic sound hole pickups(M1, M1Active and M80).

banchan
04-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi again Bryan,

Hopefully this is the correct place for my question. If possible, I'd like to remove the 3-way toggle switch from my X-Bridge/Ctrl-X setup, and just use the Ctrl-X pot as a blend pot. Is it possible or even advisable to physically remove the switch, or would I be better off just leaving the wiring intact, and simply keep the switch tucked away under the pickguard, set in the middle position?

Thanks.

Banchan

gaelic83
04-17-2012, 02:59 AM
hi i have m1active on my epiphone ej 200 sounds great most of the time just a few times i have to take the low end down on the eq on the mixing desk should i get a preamp and which one would you recommend thanks

Bryan McManus
04-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Hi Gaelic83,

The M1A, because there is a preamp built into it, does not require a preamp but you can still use one to optimize the signal. Some preamps also have EQ and balanced outputs such as our Para Di and Venue DI. Either of them would be able to apply more gain to your M1A signal and provide EQ for improving the tone. Both also have DI outputs for sending the signal down long leads without inducing noise.

DickB
04-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Hi Bryan,
I'm new and know little about pickups, etc. I just bought a Breedlove guitar with an LR Baggs Element Active VTC pickup. It sounds fairly good when plugged into my PA, but I'd like to know more about it: reading various comments in this forum and elsewhere I see a lot of discussion about piezo pickup problems, mainly a quacking sound. I assume the EA VTC is piezo, right? If there are so many problems why are they used in so many good guitars? Should I use a DI box with this pickup? Would either the Para DI or the Gigpro be the right one to use?
Thanks,
Dick

Christian
04-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi Dick,
You are correct that the EAS-VTC is a piezo pickup. It is not so much a "problem" with under saddle pickups as much as it is an inherent property of how piezo responds to the guitar.
Acoustic instruments are very difficult to amplify because the instrument itself is an amplifier. There are many sound waves bouncing around inside the instrument in various directions which brings about many problems (mostly feedback) at performance volume levels.
That being said, piezos are one of the best ways to get a relatively natural acoustic sound at stage volumes without feedback. A good EQ will allow the user to tame the quack but is definitely not going to eliminate it. The Para DI would is a good tool for this because of the ability to EQ the mids. However, the gigpro does not have the ability to EQ the mids so you would not be able to efficiently attack quack.
-Christian

DickB
04-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Christian,
Thanks for the info; very useful.
Dick

BoHo
09-13-2012, 02:37 AM
Hi Bryan,
is it possible to replace the volume pot on a Para acoustic DI ?
I bought two of these around the same time(one for my guitar and one for the fiddle),and the problem I had with both of them was the volume pot
eventually not working.It was a brilliant unit apart from this problem.I've had it in the cupboard for a couple of years hoping I could fix it sometime.

root5150
10-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Hello. I have an intermittent problem with my Anthem system installed in my Taylor GS-Custom. I had it professionally installed by a local luthier who is also an LR Baggs retailer about a year ago.

The pickup sounds great and has worked well. Recently while rehearsing for a gig, I notice that the pickup was suddenly picking up the low end frequencies at a much higher sensitivity, to the point that just lightly tapping the soundboard with my fingernail was actually distorting the subs on the house PA. Adjusting the balance between the mic and the element made no change.

I brought the guitar home and after a couple weeks in the case, I took it out and it played fine for about 15 minutes and the problem started again. I reached inside the soundhole and fiddled with the wires where they connect to the back of the preamp. That seemed to solve the problem and I've played about an hour on it in my own house without any issues. I'm a little nervous to use it for gigs though without being sure of what the problem was or if I fixed it for sure.

Any ideas on what to look for here or what might be causing the issue? Could it just have been a loose connector plug on the preamp or is it more likely a short in a wire of some sort?

Any help would be appreciated.

root5150

Caleb_Elling
10-03-2012, 07:25 AM
root5150,
Have you tried a new battery?

root5150
10-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Hi Caleb,

Yes, I should have mentioned that. That was the first thing I did.

Caleb_Elling
10-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Have you had issues since changing the battery?

If you are interested in getting faster responses, you can email me directly at [email protected]

daveyuknat
10-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Hi - just bought a new Para DI. Plugged it into 2 different PA systems and found that no matter how I have the gain and volume set, the signal overloads the PA and I get heavy distortion. This is the same from either the XLR output or the 1/4" out.

(I've only used phantom power so far)

Any suggestions?

guitargio
10-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Hi, This is my first message.
I've a PRS hollowbody 2 with a piezo system. In this guitar the E 1° string is MUTE, if I select piezo.
Is it possible delete this problem? How can I do?
I'm an Italian guitarman and is very difficult in my interland search a repair for this piezo. I service myself. Tanks for Help!!

Caleb_Elling
10-22-2012, 09:05 AM
daveyuknat,
If the Para DI is operating on Phantom Power, and the mixer is supplying more than 26v, there shouldn't be any chance for low voltage distortion. If you are able to try the Para DI with a battery, just for troubleshooting purposes, it would help. Then if you still have issues, feel free to email us at [email protected], and we'll see what we can do for you.

Caleb_Elling
10-22-2012, 09:07 AM
guitargio,
Due to our service agreement with PRS, they must be contacted directly for service and repair issues. If you need help contacting them, let me know ([email protected]).

eddiecruz
11-20-2012, 01:05 PM
I recently have come across an issue with my input jack.

I own a Gibson J 180 EC Special that came with an Element pickup installed. I went to unplug after I had finished playing and the cable wouldnt come out as easy as it usually does. I gave it a slightly firmer tug and it came out.

I proceeded to try and plug the cable in and noticed that it wouldnt go in easy. I packed up and tried again the next day to insert the cable gently and after a couple attempts I was able to plug it in and unplug it a couple times with no issue.

The next time that I went to plug it I came across the same issue of not being able to plug in. I again tried a couple times and was able to plug it in. Again I unplugged and packed up and when I got home tried to see if the problem persisted.

When I went to plug in this time, I checked to see if there was any signal coming out by plugging into a stompbox tuner. I noticed that only when I plucked a string with force it would read.

Finally, I plugged into my recording interface to see if there was loss of tone and sure enough it only puts out low end.

Im hoping someone could help me as I use my guitar multiple times a week as it I use it as part of how I make a living and to sit down to try and figure out the problem consumes enough of the spare time that I have very little of.

[email protected]
12-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Hi, I'm wondering if the LRBaggs T-Bridge will work as a replacement for the LRBaggs/PRS stock bridge in a 2004 PRS Hollowbody II. It appears the wiring harness is not the same, but that should be workable, are the posts the same? size, position?

Caleb_Elling
12-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Rick,
The PRS bridges are all wrap-around bridges, and the T-Bridge is Tune-O Matic. On top of that, the Piezo sensors themselves are slightly different. So unfortunately, there is no way that the T-Bridge would be a replacement for the PRS Hollowbody Bridge.

adamcesante
01-05-2013, 06:53 PM
hi, really need help regarding this one. i've been using an X bridge for my vintage strat for 5 years now and noticed than my saddles have some sort of corrosion on it. how do i clean them? is there a way to fix it on my own? I also noticed that the high E string has low
volume output compared to the others. what should i do? =(

Caleb_Elling
01-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Hi Adam,
Once that metal is corroded, whether it's due to skin PH, weather, or something else, there really isn't a way to get them back to 100%. You could clean them with a light abrasive cloth, but you may also risk damaging the sensors if mishandled.

If one of your saddles has lost some output, it may be related to a change in string pressure, or it could be a problem with the way that the sensor is seated in the saddle. Those would both be things to look for.

psgwww
01-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Caleb: first: you were right about the cable on my Anthem not being secured. it was juuuust grazing the top. this caused the wolf bass note that i had bragged about solving with the Venue e.q. now, the sound is perfect.

i am still listening for that "more" perfect sound.

turning the gain all the way up on both my Anthem and my Ultrasound amp does not seem to yield any distortion. The instructions say to maximize gain (before distortion) to get the most nuance and accuracy out of the Anthem. also, the red light does not come on.

so...any reason not to maximize the gain both places?

might there be distortion that I'm not hearing that an audience might???

cheers,

brent marchbanks

Caleb_Elling
01-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Brent,
In order to get the most signal with the least amount of noise, you should turn up each item in your signal chain (ie. The Anthem, preamp, amp, mixing console, etc.) as much as possible without peaking or causing distortion. Then you will be able to get the most detail, and signal from your system. If you aren't hearing any distortion, then it's likely that the audience isn't either.

kristoffer
02-14-2013, 03:23 AM
Hi, I've bought a Custom Warmoth guitar where the former owner have installed a Xbrigde and a Control X.

The guitar has a "3 way flip switch" and a push button (on off?).
Just like this one:

the system seems to work, when I push "on" and flip the switch I get acoustic sound from my Strat :)

But is there any way to get both?
With a stereo cable or something?

Ive tried a stereo to 2xmono cable but the sound did not seem to be good at all.

45flint
02-14-2013, 05:56 AM
I know this is probably something that you can't answer and maybe shouldn't even if you knew. But having put the Lyric in a carbon fiber guitar with no bridgeplate or bracing, and having read about the mechanics of pressure zone mics. It is hard for me not to believe that this is not the ideal setup for a pressure zone mic. The whole unobstructed soundboard as opposed to a wood guitar where the bridgeplate is the only unobstructed plate. Just Curious. The mic works fabulously in my carbon. Steve

Caleb_Elling
02-14-2013, 08:08 AM
The PZM mic averages the vibrations of the top, and not just the sound. So essentially, it will reproduce an accurate picture of what the guitar, as a whole, is doing. No matter if the guitar is carbon fiber, wood, with braces, or without braces, it will reproduce the sound of the guitar. If you like the way your carbon fiber guitar sounds acoustically, that's what you'll get with the Lyric, plugged in.

45flint
02-14-2013, 02:28 PM
I hear you but the mic is 3 mm above the surface over the entire surface of a carbon guitar, can see how it can hear and average the entire top. Given you have a boundary pressure zone mic, how can it mechanically do exactly the same thing in the same manner in a traditional guitar?

Caleb_Elling
02-14-2013, 03:43 PM
I don't know that I can give you the answer that you are looking for. I just know that the braces are there to modify and control the vibration and overall movement of the top. The Mic picks up the sound from the top by hearing sound from the flat surface that it is mounted on. And the Mic is not at all limited in it's ability to average the top by the braces. It hears the top's overall movement, and not just the section that it's mounted to. I couldn't tell you why. Our use of the PZM technology is slightly non-traditional.

So I can't see any difference happening between a guitar with traditional braces, and one that has no braces.

45flint
02-15-2013, 11:52 PM
Thinking about it you are using the pressure zone differently in that in a normal pressure zone mic the plate is static picking up sound. In the Lyric it is dynamic creating the sound. Still would think a flat unobstructed plate would give a little different dynamic, but not as essential since it is not really collecting the sound. Doubt you would even do testing with a flat surface carbon. Bottom line the product works wonderfully, almost magically, maybe leave it at that! For my Doubleneck application I would kick it up to miracle class, balancing 18 strings from a single point. Simply nuts!

Caleb_Elling
02-18-2013, 08:21 AM
That is a great conclusion to make! I'm excited to see how many different instruments the Lyric will work on.

G Bach
02-21-2013, 10:56 PM
I have the Para DI box that is being intermittent in outputting signal and has occasional distorted signal. I noticed that there is one screw (out of 4 possible screws) missing underneath. So there are only 3. Could this be the problem? My battery is strong.

Caleb_Elling
02-22-2013, 10:48 AM
The most that a missing screw can cause is some added ground noise. If there is a problem with the signal cutting in and out, it is likely a problem with a worn out jack or a bad cable.

G Bach
02-23-2013, 04:52 PM
The most that a missing screw can cause is some added ground noise. If there is a problem with the signal cutting in and out, it is likely a problem with a worn out jack or a bad cable.

Thanks Caleb - Also the red "on" light is permanently on unless I remove the battery. Could that also be jack related? Everything looks clean and fresh and the box has seen minimal use...

Also the place where a screw was missing has a shiny surface to the metal as if to make ground contact...

Caleb_Elling
02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
If the light stays on when you don't have anything plugged into the input, then there is probably a short in the jack, or maybe elsewhere in the circuit.

How long have you had it? I can see about getting you a Repair Number, of you are interested in getting your DI fixed.

G Bach
02-25-2013, 03:03 PM
That is what it's doing. The jack looks fine but who knows. I've had my Para DI for about 5 years. I would like to get it repaired. Any idea on what that would cost?

Caleb_Elling
02-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Email me at [email protected] to get a repair quote and a Return Number.

Waygorked
02-27-2013, 07:49 AM
I recently installed an X-bridge and CTRL-X in a Jazzmaster build. By recently, I mean this morning before work. I love it! It sounds exactly as I had hoped. I have 2 questions, and at least the first one is probably stupid. When using the blend pot, the volume on 1 gives me about a 50:50 blend between mags and piezo. On 10 I get straight piezo. Assuming that the pot should sweep between pure mags to pure piezo, did I possibly wire something incorrectly? I haven't had the opportunity to check yet, but is this potentially an issue with the setting on the internal trim pot?

Also, I purchased the bridge new from an ebay seller a year ago, and I noticed this weekend that it was shipped for some reason without the tremolo arm. I have not been able to fit any of my other tremolo arms to the bushing. A USA Fender arm is too big, and a cheap Proline GC part is too small. What size tread will fit in this bushing?

Thanks.

Caleb_Elling
03-04-2013, 08:34 AM
The blend issues that you are experiencing is completely normal. The way that the components are designed and assembled makes it impossible to get full isolation without using the toggle-switch. So your bridge is functioning correctly.

For your new bridge, did you get a US Standard or the Vintage bridge?

Dave Shanks
03-04-2013, 08:29 PM
When installing my Lyric, I discovered there was very little room to install the mic centered below the saddle. I had to position the mic to clear the bridge pins and the string ball ends and I just barely succeeded, which put the two ends of the plastic portion of the mic up against the top bracing. Will the plastic of the mic touching here have an effect on the functioning and sound reproduction of the mic?

Also, my cable plugs are very tight and difficult to insert into the Lyric preamp jack. They fit smoothly and with 3 easily felt and heard clicks in the Para DI and my Fishman amp, but these same cables must be pushed hard to get them inserted all the way into the Lyric jack. The gold plating on the plugs won't last long. Is this normal for the Lyric preamp, or do I have an anomaly? I'm hoping it's an anomaly as it's hard to imagine this being normal. I really want this to work. I purchased the Lyric last week. :)

Caleb_Elling
03-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Hi Dave,
The mic touching the braces is mostly a concern because some notes from the guitars will vibrate those braces and cause a rattle in the mic. This can sound like low-level distortion in the amplified signal. So if you have to put the mic behind the bridge pins, assuming there's room on the bridge plate, that would be a safer option.

As far as the jack: some of our jacks are a little tighter than others, but they do loosen up after about two weeks of regular use.

Dave Shanks
03-05-2013, 10:05 AM
So positioning the mic behind the bridge pins will be ok sound-wise? It does not have to be directly under the saddle? I do have plenty of room on the bridge plate to mount the mic behind the bridge pins. This will position the mic about 2" away from the saddle. And thank you for the help on these issues. It's nice to have quick and reliable supoport from a manufacturer :)

Caleb_Elling
03-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Putting the mic behind the pins is fine. I've done several installations where there was not sufficient room in front of the pins. I've placed the mic in front, behind, on the top itself in front and behind the bridge plate. The tone varies slightly depending on the placement, but you will get the best sound quality if you place it on the bridge plate.

Dave Shanks
03-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Serviviente
03-06-2013, 07:46 AM
I just came came form a trip and realized I lost the whammy bar on my bridge (electric)! Please somebody direct me where I can find one, I don't care how much it cost!!! I needed! Pease help!! Tx in advance!

Caleb_Elling
03-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Hey Servivente,
Email me at [email protected], and I'll see if I can find you what you need. Any information you can provide to me about your bridge will be helpful.

Serviviente
03-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Hey Caleb
I tried emailing you but my emails kept getting returned so I had no other choice but pm you. Tx in advance.

Caleb_Elling
03-06-2013, 10:19 AM
I mis-typed my address. Sorry. It's [email protected]

vinnieUK
03-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Hi
just bought an LR BAGGS M1A and it seems to have low output. When I record in wave the single is lopsided and low. Any ideas?

thanks

vinnieUK

Bilko
03-24-2013, 02:19 AM
Hi, I have an early version of the Para DI (Gain control inside - PCB says REV D).
I have experimented with the FX loop as a way of feeding a tuner, but it doesn't behave as I would expect. I use a TRS (Stereo) jack with the tip as send and the ring as return, wired to two TS (mono) jacks for connection to the tuner. With the tuner bypassed, things are fine, but when I switch the tuner in, I am still hearing the guitar through the XLR and Jack outputs.

Is the FX loop a true insert connection, i.e. it breaks the signal path if you insert a jack, or is it some kind of parallel loop?
Your manual (for the current model) says:

"The effects loop interrupts the signal path" which suggests a true insert, while:

"The send (tip) of this connector comes directly from the pure class A discrete input stage of the Para D.I., before the EQ, volume control, invert switch and output driver. Therefore it can be used as an immaculate, unbalanced direct output. It will not be affected by any of the panel controls (with the exception of the gain control). Use a regular mono cable"
which suggests a parallel loop as putting a mono jack in a true insert point will break away the return as the ring connection is grounded

It also says:
"You may adjust the amount of effect in the signal by using the controls of the outboard effect" which suggests its a parallel loop and not a true insert.

I am a bit confused.

Can you clarify this for me, I wouldn't mind a quick sketch of the FX loop circuit (not detailed, just a signal flow diag).

Thanks

Steve

JeffBrockman
03-25-2013, 06:39 AM
I purchased an LR Baggs PARA DI from Guitar Center a couple years ago. I have become dependent on this piece of equipment. It is perfect for shaping the tone of my LR Baggs active I-Beam. However, this box has become quite the noise maker. It will randomly make a loud pop to where I can't trust using it on stage. I know the XLR out doesn't appear to be a real tight connection, but I believe this was always the case. The unit does not show any sign of damage or wear, is it possible to replace the XLR connection or is there a tech doc that addresses this issue?

Caleb_Elling
03-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Bilko,
What model is your tuner? Most tuners have two outputs: one that is a dry through, and the other is muted when the tuner is engaged. If this is the case, changing the output from your tuner should solve the issue.

Jeff,
If you email me at [email protected], I can get you the information that you need to get your DI repaired.

JeffBrockman
03-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks Caleb, I just now sent an email to [email protected]

Bilko
03-25-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the tip - I had tried that.
Can you tell me if the fx loop is a true insert that breaks the signal path?
For example, if I insert a stereo jack that is not wired to anything into the FX loop socket, it should break the signal path as the insert and return are not connected, however I still hear the signal at full strength. I am just concerned that my Para DI is faulty.

Any chance of a quick sketch?

Ta

Steve

Caleb_Elling
03-25-2013, 03:38 PM
The Para DI should have zero output if the FX loop is interrupted without a return signal. Using a cable, TS or TRS, will short the path through the loop.

Bilko
03-26-2013, 02:25 AM
Hi Caleb, .

Thats what I thought - this does not happen with mine. Can you think of any reason why mine doesn't work this way?

as the FX loop switching is normally done in the Jack Socket all I can assume is that it may be a faulty socket, and as its out of warranty by a long way, I guess the answer is to remove the socket from the board and see if that breaks the signal flow.

Just to confirn that my unit is an early model - as I said Board Rev D, gain control is a preset on the main PCB, not accessible from outside like the current models. Does that make any difference?

A sketch of the FX loop circuit would be lovely tho.......

Thanks for your help

Steve:)

Caleb_Elling
03-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Ok,
I spoke with our lead engineer, and he told me that in the original Para DI (with internal gain), the FX loop was not a True Insert path. The signal was split 50/50 from the normal path to the loop. So that is completely normal for that revision. All of the DI's made in the last 13 to 15 years have been modified for a True Insert path, as well as the addition of the external gain.

Unfortunately, we have a policy against distributing any schematics for our products new or old. So I wouldn't be able to get you a drawing of the circuit.

Bilko
03-27-2013, 05:15 AM
That's a shame, All I need is the circuit around the FX loop so I can modify it.
Would he be able to give me a list of tracks to cut/join or other mods so I can make it a true insert?

Thanks

Caleb_Elling
03-27-2013, 07:59 AM
Unfortunately, we are also prohibited from providing any information that would void the warranty of any of our products, despite the warranty status of the item.

geebeeguitar
03-28-2013, 05:13 AM
Hello, I have a larrivee L09 with a Anthem pickup just installed (december 2012). I had the strings changed last week and since that event I 've been experienced a noise on the piezo side and nothing on the mic side. the noise is like a preamp hiss when the volume is too high and vary in time. I checked the adjustment of the volume screw and it is at the minimum position. Other point , when I unplug the mic the noise disappear, when the mic is plugged the noise is on the piezo side. Any suggestion ???

Caleb_Elling
03-28-2013, 08:43 AM
Did you have your strings changed in a guitar shop? If you did, you want want to have them look at it. It sounds to me like something happened to the system during the string change.

How does the signal sound? is it full sounding, or thinner than normal?

Ben Fawson
03-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Hi Bryan. Gigging last night acoustic into Venue DI and into PA there was a crackling going on, wondered if it was just a lead but could be Venue DI - the tuner was flickering like mad when I turned it on. Any ideas what's up with it. Could it just need a new battery? Thanks, Ben

Lars
03-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Hi! I just bought a Martin Eric Clapton 000-28 and want to put an Anthem pickup in it. I realize the sound hole is only 3-7/8" so the volume and mix controls won't fit exactly. However, my question has to do with the placement of the tru-mic. It appears that the area under the bridge is not quite wide enough to support it. It looks to be around 1/2" of space.

Would a luthier have to add additional bracing material for the tru-mic? I need to know about installing this because I don't want to open the Anthem box if I have to return it.

Thanks, Lars

Lars
04-02-2013, 10:02 AM
I am answering my own question ("I just bought a Martin Eric Clapton 000-28 and want to put an Anthem pickup in it"). I found a local luthier, whom I didn't know of, and he installed it. And, the anthem sounds really wonderful in it. The smaller sound hole was not a problem at all, nor the lack of space for the tru-mic. It is a great combination!

jab
04-02-2013, 02:41 PM
Hi there,

I've had latency problems with the tuner in my venue DI tuner since I bought it. Doesn't matter what guitar I use... Everyone I've spoken too who has the DI, says they have the same probs. Now the tuner is getting worse where the latency is getting worse and worse, making it very frustrating on stage (as you can imagine).

Any solutions - as otherwise this is a cracker of a pedal...

JB

Caleb_Elling
04-03-2013, 12:28 PM
Hey Ben,
Have you been able to try some different cables yet? It sounds to me like that is the first place to look.

Caleb_Elling
04-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Jab,
What kind of pickup and instrument combination are you running into the Venue? Also, are you making sure that your battery is good? A low battery will be the first thing to effect the DI tuner.

simonpark107
04-09-2013, 03:11 PM
I play in a church band with drums, elec, bass, keys, and vocals and we use wedge monitors. The spacing is a little tight and it can get pretty loud. The wedge is right in front of me. Would this cause feedback problems for the Lyric? If it does is there a way to fix it? Or do you recommend me getting the Anthem instead? I have a martin d18ge and the Para DI. Thanks!!!

Caleb_Elling
04-09-2013, 03:32 PM
The Lyric will feedback, like most pickups, at the guitar top's resonant frequency. This can be notched out with a Notch filter though. The Notch filter on the Venue DI works very well because it cuts the offending frequency without cutting anything else. So the tone of the instrument is still preserved.

The Anthem would be a better choice if your EQ and notching options are more limited, or if you have less time to tweak the sound before you start playing.

simonpark107
04-09-2013, 05:08 PM
The Lyric will feedback, like most pickups, at the guitar top's resonant frequency. This can be notched out with a Notch filter though. The Notch filter on the Venue DI works very well because it cuts the offending frequency without cutting anything else. So the tone of the instrument is still preserved.

The Anthem would be a better choice if your EQ and notching options are more limited, or if you have less time to tweak the sound before you start playing.

How about the Anthem SL? Would this be prevent feedback or do i have to get the full anthem?

Thanks so much for your help! i really appreciate it :)

Caleb_Elling
04-10-2013, 08:00 AM
The Anthem SL still utilizes the Element pickup. So the mic is equally as resistant to feedback as it is in the full Anthem.

GibsonGuy
04-11-2013, 12:30 PM
I have a Rainsong COWS1000-N2 with the Fishman Prefix Plus T and would like to replace it with the Anthem Stagepro. Will the barn door fit the existing opening and is there any special info needed for the under saddle transducer?

Caleb_Elling
04-11-2013, 01:23 PM
The Prefix Plus preamp is larger than the Stage Pro preamp, so unless you can have someone build an adapter, the Stage Pro won't fit in the guitar.

We have had a few people successfully made that modification, as seen here: http://christopherguitars.com/articles/anthem_retrofit.html

I'm not sure what you mean by your under-saddle question though. The Stage Pro Anthem comes with it's own under-saddle pickup, so there shouldn't be any special info necessary.

chrisW
06-14-2013, 01:31 AM
Hi,

last week I bought the LR Baggs Venue DI and Lyric Microphone system.
I've had the mic professionally installed into my Gibson Southern Jumbo. The problem is
that I just can't get a good sound with it over my PA. (JBL Eon 500 Speakers and Yamaha MG166cx Mixer).
I first plugged in with everything flat on the Venue and the Mixer. What I got was a very honky midrange sound.
Almost like a wha pedal in middle position. I tried so my different settings, but all I get is a cheap sounding guitar.
It has nothing to do with what I hear in your videos. The PA is okay and sounds fine with other guitars.

Could there be something wrong with my mic ? Did somebody else have the same problems ?

Greets from Germany,

Chris

Caleb_Elling
06-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Hey Chris,
Have you adjusted the Mic Presence control at all? It is labeled as a Presence control, but it does effect the mid-range too. So setting that control while playing through your PA is very important in getting the mic set correctly for each guitar.

chrisW
06-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Hi Caleb,

I've tried it all the way off, on and everything in between ;)
We had the chance to try it with a very very good PA last night but it just didn't work.
I guess I'll have to take it back to the shop and try to get a new one.

The Saint
06-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Hi.
I'm wanting to get the Lyric installed on one of my dreadnoughts. I made a mistake a few years ago and installed a Takemine preamp with a Fishman Pickup under the saddle. The Takemine has a tuner and EQ. Although its sounds ok, I really want to get away from that sound and move to a more natural guitar sound that comes from using a mic. I can't do much about the preamp now, it's there!

My question is this. Would the Lyric be routed through the preamp or go straight to the end pin? Are there any advantages to using the preamp if it were possible?

I can use another guitar if I have to, it would seem a waste of a preamp if I didn't need it. I might as well leave it installed.

I'm about to buy a Bose L1 system for live use. Any thoughts on that set up

Thanks in advance..

Graham

gibsonj45
06-16-2013, 02:19 AM
Hi there! I have a Gibson j45 with an element factory fit pickup. After 12 months the pickup is making what I can only describe as a 'fluffing' noise which is quite loud. I've had the endpoint preamp out and it seems the wires are interfering with each other. I taped them apart which worked for a while but the noise has now returned to haunt me :( any ideas?

Caleb_Elling
06-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Hi Caleb,

I've tried it all the way off, on and everything in between ;)
We had the chance to try it with a very very good PA last night but it just didn't work.
I guess I'll have to take it back to the shop and try to get a new one.

Let me know how it goes.

Caleb_Elling
06-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Hi.
I'm wanting to get the Lyric installed on one of my dreadnoughts. I made a mistake a few years ago and installed a Takemine preamp with a Fishman Pickup under the saddle. The Takemine has a tuner and EQ. Although its sounds ok, I really want to get away from that sound and move to a more natural guitar sound that comes from using a mic. I can't do much about the preamp now, it's there!

My question is this. Would the Lyric be routed through the preamp or go straight to the end pin? Are there any advantages to using the preamp if it were possible?

I can use another guitar if I have to, it would seem a waste of a preamp if I didn't need it. I might as well leave it installed.

I'm about to buy a Bose L1 system for live use. Any thoughts on that set up

Thanks in advance..

Graham

Hey Graham,
The Lyric preamp is what makes the mic work so well. So using the existing preamp isn't an option. Your current preamp doesn't supply mic power either. SO I would recommend leaving the Fishman preamp in the guitar, and installing the Lyric directly in the end-block, in place of the Fishman's output jack. The hole there should be the same size.

As far as the Bose L1, I am a big fan. The L1 has a good frequency response, clarity, and projection. We've done a lot of business with Bose, and I love their stuff. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a portable PA.

Caleb_Elling
06-17-2013, 08:24 AM
Hi there! I have a Gibson j45 with an element factory fit pickup. After 12 months the pickup is making what I can only describe as a 'fluffing' noise which is quite loud. I've had the endpoint preamp out and it seems the wires are interfering with each other. I taped them apart which worked for a while but the noise has now returned to haunt me :( any ideas?

Have you replaced the battery?

Also, does the noise happen when you are playing the guitar, or does it also happen if the guitar is not being played (just sitting on the guitar stand, plugged in)?

The Saint
06-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Hi Caleb

Thanks for clarifying that point. I think I'll leave that guitar as it is and install the Lyric in another guitar. I have just bough the Bose L1 model II with a Tonematch and a B2 and a B1. Im really keen to hear the results of this pairing.

gibsonj45
07-01-2013, 07:15 AM
Hi Caleb - yes i've replaced the battery 3 times. It happens whether the guitar is played or left standing. Sometimes giving the bottom of the guitar a sharp tap helps but only temporary :(

gibsonj45
07-01-2013, 07:16 AM
Have you replaced the battery?

Also, does the noise happen when you are playing the guitar, or does it also happen if the guitar is not being played (just sitting on the guitar stand, plugged in)?
Hi Caleb - yes i've replaced the battery 3 times. It happens whether the guitar is played or left standing. Sometimes giving the bottom of the guitar a sharp tap helps but only temporary

Caleb_Elling
07-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Hi Caleb - yes i've replaced the battery 3 times. It happens whether the guitar is played or left standing. Sometimes giving the bottom of the guitar a sharp tap helps but only temporary

OK,
Shoot me an email at [email protected], and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

aebowman
07-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Hello,

I have a Baggs LB-6 installed and the high E string's output is lower than the other strings. Is there something I can do to correct this? Thanks in advance.

Alex

Caleb_Elling
07-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Hi Alex,
That type of issue is usually fixable, but it may need to be looked at by a professional repair shop.

Have you had this problem for a while, or is this a new issue?

aebowman
07-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Hi Alex,
That type of issue is usually fixable, but it may need to be looked at by a professional repair shop.

Have you had this problem for a while, or is this a new issue?

HI Caleb,
I've had the issue since it was installed by a professional. I've mostly used the guitar unplugged but now I'd like to use it plugged in as it sounds amazing except for the one string. I'd prefer to do the repair myself but I needed to know if it was fixable and what needs to be done. Am I correct in assuming the saddle needs to be raised on the high E side?
Thanks again for your help,
Alex

Caleb_Elling
07-12-2013, 08:09 AM
The reason I recommend using a professional is that the LB6 is a very difficult pickup to work with. You may be able to add a thin layer of black electrical tape to the bottom of the brass sensor, under the quiet string. Beyond that, a professional with LB6 experience is highly recommended.

aebowman
07-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Thanks, Caleb. I'll give it a shot and try to locate an experienced professional if I hit a dead end.

baotloi
04-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Has anyone powered a the Venue Di with the Voodoo Lab Power Plus 2 and knows what configuration is needed to properly power the Venue?

Thanks!

Caleb_Elling
04-21-2014, 09:38 AM
Hey baotloi,
Welcome to the LR Baggs forum!

You should be able to use one of the regular 9v (center neg) outputs from the Power Plus 2, with one of the included 5.5 x 2.1mm plugs. The PP2 is already designed to provide the necessary power that the Venue needs, so it's just that simple.

I know several people who use the PP2 with their Venues right now, and they all have really good things to say about their setups.

All the best!

baotloi
04-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Thanks Caleb! I'm new to this pedal board thing although I've been playing for about 10 years now. I've been using mainly multi-effects board like Line6 POD system for my electric and recently bought a HD-35 with the Venue Di, Boss DD-20, and a TC Hall of Fame. Let me know if you have any recommendations!

Thanks for the help!

Caleb_Elling
04-22-2014, 07:39 AM
I have the TC Hall Of Fame, and I LOVE it! It's an excellent pedal for Electric and Acoustic guitars. I run my HOF in the Venue FX loop, when I use use it. That way, my tuner stays accurate without needing to disengage the Reverb.