PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my own magnetic/ mic combo for the imix?

pablojones
06-08-2012, 10:19 AM
I have a vintage DeArmond soundhole, humbucker, magnetic pickup (http://bit.ly/LtLeMt) that I love for that old vintage sound. I also want to combine some sort of internal mic.

I'd like to use the imix as I can't find another internal dual preamp system with eq & blend! Now instead of using the included components I'd like to use the DeArmond magnetic pickup & the foam mic found in your Dual Source setup http://bit.ly/KhbJFU.

Now given that you don't officially support this, could I make it work with some mods? Any issues I could come across?

I'd have to make special connectors for the mag & the foam mic. What sort of connectors? Mono or Stereo?
Can I use my mag & mic on either channel on the preamp or are the channels more tuned to a specific type of pickup?
Will I have any issue of preamping my mag? I was advised to go straight to amp or PA system with this mag
How would the sound of the LR Baggs foam mic differ from traditional boom mics?

Thanks!

Bryan McManus
06-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi Pablo,

First, the iMIX preamp is not designed to accept a microphone in either channel. What you're looking to do may be possible using the Dual Source(DS) preamp.

The microphone in the link you provided is the one supplied with the complete DS system.

I do not know, however, what might be required to ensure compatibility between the De'Armond pickup and the DS pickup channel.

The DS preamp already has a connector input compatible with the connector on the end of that microphone lead. The pickup input is a MONO 2.5mm phono jack.

What are you referring to as a "traditional boom mic"?

pablojones
06-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Hey Mark I saw the DS but I want to have an EQ & the DS doesn't have it. Otherwise I'd go that route as that would seem the path of least resistance! That's why I was set on the imix.

Are you saying the mic from the DS won't work in the imix? The ibeam is a transducer mic isn't it? Why wouldn't it work?

As far as traditional boom mic, I mean like the one found on the Fishman Rare Earth Blend.

Bryan McManus
06-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Are you saying the mic from the DS won't work in the imix? The ibeam is a transducer mic isn't it? Why wouldn't it work?

As far as traditional boom mic, I mean like the one found on the Fishman Rare Earth Blend.

Miniature microphones are also transducers but microphones like that used with the DS system require DC voltage to produce sufficient output. Neither channel in the iMIX provides power to the input for a microphone.

I'm pretty sure the mic on the Fishman Rare Earth Blend is also a mini electret condenser capsule but on a flexible boom called a "gooseneck".