PDA

View Full Version : Element Active VTC - Alavarez SLM Metal saddle slot

tjdarst3
08-17-2012, 04:48 AM
Hey all, I am new to this forum, and hoping to gain some insight.

I have a late 70s model Alvarez SLM acoustic, and am wanting to amp it. Currently, I am using the M1A, and it works very well. I have been wanting to install a piezo, for two reasons 1) to remove the visible pickup from the sound hole, and 2) to possibly remove chances for feedback...EDIT: I don't get feedback with the M1A, unless I am attempting to overdrive or add effects. However, I am looking to use a soundhole plug or cover, which would preclude my ability to use a soundhole pickup.

The SLM has a metal saddle slot. Do I drill through this metal slot as well at the bridge to install the transducer, and will the pickup even work when installed on a metel saddle slot?

I hope these questions make sense.

Thanks for any insight!

TJ

Bryan McManus
08-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Hi TJ,

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to say it will not likely be an excellent result. You could anticipate a string-to-string output imbalance.

The best result, with any undersaddle pickup from us or another maker, would be possible by removing the metal saddle slot mechanism, filling the space with the same wood the bridge is made from and having a new standard dimension slot milled in the bridge.

That should also improve the acoustic tone and output by allowing a better physical transference of the string energy into the soundboard.