PDA

View Full Version : Lyric?

smalls
01-09-2013, 07:00 PM
When will the lyric be available? I'm about to buy a new guitar and need a pickup. I loved the anthem, but
the lyric sounds like it might be better for me. Don't want to put in an anthem and have the lyric come out in a month or two, but I really can't wait too long to put a pickup in the guitar.
Thanks

Caleb_Elling
01-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Hey Smalls,
The Lyric is scheduled to start shipping towards the beginning of February, and it will sell for $199. Not all of our dealers have pre-ordered yet, but we will have online dealers who will have stock shortly after the ship date. You can also talk to your local LR Baggs dealer about getting a Lyric pre-ordered.

psgwww
01-14-2013, 07:32 AM
Well, I might as well broach this topic first, Caleb.

Is Lyric an updated improvement of the Anthem (doing away withe UST which, to some ears, muffles the acoustic sound ever so slightly, and the minor hassles of installation and adjustment), or a compromise product that simply gives better better sound than anything else except Anthem?

Might it reach feedback level sooner; thus limiting it to lower volume applications?

If it's as good as Anthem, then there is no need for Anthem anymore.

I'm a big Anthem booster. So this inquiry is not meant to "flame" in any way. Just an inquiry from an interested fan and customer.

Brent

Caleb_Elling
01-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Brent,
The Lyric is definitely based on the Anthem. It doesn't have the UST, so it isn't as resistant to feedback at higher volumes. It's feedback resistance is better than soundboard transducers, but not quite as good as under-saddle transducers. So for a standalone mic, it is much more usable than any other mic designed for live use.

So the Anthem maintains the feedback resistance by its under-saddle pickup, and the Lyric is easier to install and sounds more well-rounded and, in my opinion, more natural.

The mics in each system are different too. The Lyric mic capsules are tested for a certain set of parameters that match the Lyric preamp. The Anthem mics are tested for qualities in the same way, but for the Anthem preamp.

I hope that helps.

texasdw
01-20-2013, 07:31 PM
I suppose a lot of folks are curious about this new system. I'm a fingerstyle player, solo gigs only. I play through a PA, and soon to buy a Fishman 220 for a more portable alternative. So, low volume (at least from where I sit) therefore feedback is not an issue. I've been playing a guitar with a RTS II in it, which as I understand has been preempted by the Element Active system. I play through a Venue DI. But...as I read through the overwhelming variety of choices of pickups/ transducers/ mics on the Baggs site I'm beginning to think that my style would be better served by something like the Lyric.

That said...in February I should take delivery of my new (to me) Santa Cruz custom H-model all-mahogany guitar. The guitar will be used for living room play and for gigs as I described above (solo fingerstyle). If you were to recommend a pickup for me...would this be it? Or would I be better served by a different system? Too many choices and I ned the guidance (and expense and ease of installation is not an issue - compared to the price of the guitar the pup will be negligible regardless).

seratone
01-21-2013, 03:31 AM
I'm waiting for the Lyric as well. I have an Anthem in my Martin M36, and just acquired a 68' Gibson J-45 - no rush, but I'll eventually be installing a pick up in it. I'm wondering how a sound hole feedback buster will affect the tonal qualities of the Mic.

I love the Anthem, but I'm currently employing a Fishman Aura to add a little transparency to the UST sound of the Element portion.

L.R. Baggs rule in the pickup area - I wonder why they never decided to go into the Microphone Modeling racket like the D-TAR or Aura?

Caleb_Elling
01-21-2013, 08:33 AM
texasdw,
The Lyric should go very well with your new Santa Cruz. Your playing situation is more than ideal for feedback resistance too. The Lyric is more feedback resistant than most Soundboard pickups. So even if you were to play in front of a larger audience with a floor monitor, the Venue should give you the ability do so while still controlling your feedback resistance. The Venue and the Lyric are an amazing pair.

texasdw
01-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Thanks Caleb. I'll definitely give you some follow-up and let you know how it goes. I'll be looking forward to availability of the Lyric then.:):)

Caleb_Elling
01-21-2013, 09:51 AM
seratone,
We actually have a Lyric installed in a J-45 here in the shop, and it sounds beautiful. FeedbackBusters do tend to muffle the acoustic tone of the guitars a little, so that will come across in the amplified sound. As far as it actually cutting the amount of feedback, I can't say if it will help or not. It may be worth a try though.

As a company, I think we're trying to stay away from the whole "modeling" thing. We're really more interested in getting "your guitar" to sound like itself, and not like a digital model. So I don't foresee us going down that road any time soon.

seratone
01-30-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm currently waiting to be able to 'pre-order' the Lyric for my 68 J-45. Baggs products are distributed by Yorkville in Canada so I'm not sure how well it will adhere to the 200$ projected price tag. Yesterday I picked up an Element for 150 to put in my 'beater backup' - 1975 Guild D-25m. My guitar fixing guy was attempting to put a used Fishman Matrix pre-amp and a Fishman OEM pickup in it I had kicking around and ran into ground problems. Perhaps I should have waited a few months...

Speaking of the Anthem - I have an 'SE' installed in my new Martin M36. I haven't played out with it yet but from what I'm getting through a Mackie board with headphones is incredible (touch of Aura and Verb) - the problem is, the previous owner seems to have poked the balance adjustment screw in too far (I read about this risk on the Acoustic Guitar Forums). The blend fader seems to be glued to the inside of the sound hole rather than velcro'ed, making it impossible to adjust the blend without taking the strings off. (You can't really adjust the blend without strings...)

Can this thing be taken off using an exacto knife? as in, with the installation kit did it come with flexible adhesive option?

Id like to re-install it further into the guitar so it won't get jostled by a feedback buster.

Caleb_Elling
01-30-2013, 03:40 PM
If it was installed using our adhesive, you should be able to get it off with your hand. If it was glued on, or something else, then I really can't say. Our adhesive foam should come off with light but consistent pressure.

Ivan Lee
02-02-2013, 01:57 PM
The mics in each system are different too. The Lyric mic capsules are actually ones that we can't use for the Anthem because they have too much low frequency information. So the mics aren't interchangeable.

Although I understand this I don't really get it. So the Lyric is a better sounding (much form what I have heard) mic that has a lot of low frequency information. It sure seems that with the adjustable crossover idea in the Anthem this could easily be extended to roll off any low freq excess and accommodate the Lyric giving us all UST when feedback is the primary driver, all Mic when desirable or anything in between.

In my main gig guitar I can not have a system that might not work (due to feedback) especially in an environment where I have little control. The K&K mini by itself has let me down quite spectacularly in that way already :-)

Are there any plans to at some point release an Anthem II with Lyric mic?

Caleb_Elling
02-04-2013, 07:57 AM
Ivan,
As far as I know, we don't have any plans to modify the current Anthem line. The Lyric will likely evolve, but it's hard to say how far it will go at this point.

jlanceho
02-05-2013, 11:19 AM
When will product info, user manuals, etc be posted on the LR Baggs website for the Lyric?

Also, is the Lyric available for order now?

Thanks.

Caleb_Elling
02-05-2013, 12:34 PM
If you go to http://lrbaggs.com/lyric/, you can get all of the product info and the Installation Guide.

jlanceho
02-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks. Is the Lyric available for order now?

Caleb_Elling
02-05-2013, 03:20 PM
We are shipping to our pre-order list now, but we won't be caught up for a few more weeks. Then we will be shipping to everybody.

MikeW
02-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Does the Lyric require a 9 volt battery?

fearless
02-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Hi Mike,

Yes it does.

Kevin

MikeW
02-18-2013, 05:11 AM
My reason for asking about the battery is I currently use an I beam passive run through a Para DI with good results. I was wondering if I installed the Lyric without the battery and run it through the Para DI would I get a decent signal.

Caleb_Elling
02-18-2013, 08:04 AM
The mic requires a specific type of power to run, and the Para DI doesn't supply it. So not using a battery with the Lyric wouldn't allow it to work at all.

MikeW
02-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the info. Thinking of upgrading to the lyric but the I beam works so well I'm not sure I want to spend the $$$.

duluthdan
03-02-2013, 04:56 PM
I am so looking forward to installing one of these in my J-45.

thumbpick
03-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Will Lyric work with a classical guitar...or is the mic EQ specific to acoustic guitar? Is there plan to release a Lyric specific for classical? With an immediate need to a classical PU.... would you suggest Anthem Classical over Lyric?

Love your products... thx

Caleb_Elling
03-05-2013, 01:26 PM
If you need something right now, then the Anthem SL Classical would be a MUCH better option than the current Lyric for steel string. We are working on a classical version of the Lyric, but we do not have an projected release date yet. The Anthem SL Classical is the best thing for classical guitar that we have done to date.

thumbpick
03-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Thx Caleb... I will order the Anthem SL Classical. Unfortunately... I need it yesterday.

duluthdan
03-08-2013, 02:36 PM
I think LR Baggs hit it out of the park with the new Lyric under-bridge pickup. Installed in less than an hour, and sounds outstanding. Is it a Trance ? No, but I'd say the sound reproduction is just about as good, and the cost was $100 cheaper, and the self install was incredibly easy - and this was my first surgery ! I'll post a sound demo as soon as the video is done loading. I love not having a pickup in the soundhole anymore.
http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o526/duluthdan/LyricInstall_zps0515ec0d.jpg

tripo
03-09-2013, 02:25 AM
I'll post a sound demo as soon as the video is done loading.

looking forward to it

duluthdan
03-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Here's my hack playing with the new lyric. Recorded on a Zoom thingy I have never mastered - hope it gives you an idea, it really is remarkable, the Lyric, not the playing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kDwD2M0P8Q&list=HL1362845217&feature=mh_lolz

Caleb_Elling
03-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Thanks Dan,
It sounds great!

dave_k
05-15-2014, 09:42 AM
Brent,
The Lyric is definitely based on the Anthem. It doesn't have the UST, so it isn't as resistant to feedback at higher volumes. It's feedback resistance is better than soundboard transducers, but not quite as good as under-saddle transducers. So for a standalone mic, it is much more usable than any other mic designed for live use.

So the Anthem maintains the feedback resistance by its under-saddle pickup, and the Lyric is easier to install and sounds more well-rounded and, in my opinion, more natural.

The mics in each system are different too. The Lyric mic capsules are tested for a certain set of parameters that match the Lyric preamp. The Anthem mics are tested for qualities in the same way, but for the Anthem preamp.

I hope that helps.

I'm looking to amplify my classical. The lyric sounded appealing until reviews pointed out that it lacks the bottom end because it has no ust and because its preamp explicitly chops it off in an effort to reduce feedback so you can't even compensate via eq. That would bother me. If I'm willing to go through the extra installation hassle, does the Anthem not give me the best of both worlds by allowing more bottom end? (I'm not concerned about feedback)

Thanks in advance!

Diabolik33
05-15-2014, 11:15 AM
You Will have a very good sound with lyric. Dont Know the anthem but no doubt that it was also a very good way.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L4CsQySg7HE

Caleb_Elling
05-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Hey Dave,
The Anthem SL Classical would definitely be the best of both worlds when comparing mics and undersaddle pickups. It has a very natural tone, but maintains excellent dynamics and feedback resistance. The pickup does add a little more bottom end, but that's more in the attack of the note, and not in the actual frequency response.

I personally haven't encountered a situation where the Lyric "chopped off" the low frequencies to the point of sounding unnatural, but I usually play through full range PA systems. I've found that you will loose a bit more low end when you play through standalone amplifiers, but that is generally the case with any kind of microphone (especially vocal mics). So I prefer a PA system.

I personally use the Anthem SL instead of the Lyric for my own guitars, but I will not argue that the Lyric is very likely the most natural sounding solution for acoustic amplification. I like the added "punch" that you get from the pickup in the SL. It's not exactly "natural", but it does help to cut through the mix a little more when I'm playing with a band.

I hope that helps.

Caleb_Elling
05-16-2014, 09:00 AM
As an added note, I've played the Lyric Classical several times, and I have always been impressed with how natural it sounds, even at higher volumes.

dave_k
05-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Hey Dave,
The Anthem SL Classical would definitely be the best of both worlds when comparing mics and undersaddle pickups. It has a very natural tone, but maintains excellent dynamics and feedback resistance. The pickup does add a little more bottom end, but that's more in the attack of the note, and not in the actual frequency response.

I personally haven't encountered a situation where the Lyric "chopped off" the low frequencies to the point of sounding unnatural, but I usually play through full range PA systems. I've found that you will loose a bit more low end when you play through standalone amplifiers, but that is generally the case with any kind of microphone (especially vocal mics). So I prefer a PA system.

I personally use the Anthem SL instead of the Lyric for my own guitars, but I will not argue that the Lyric is very likely the most natural sounding solution for acoustic amplification. I like the added "punch" that you get from the pickup in the SL. It's not exactly "natural", but it does help to cut through the mix a little more when I'm playing with a band.

I hope that helps.

Caleb, thanks. I was hoping you'd chime in. Your comments are very helpful. And while I'm still not sure which way to go, that's about as thorough a commentary as I could ask for. I only wish I could try out both, even on another guitar, before I chose. But I don't see any way that's going to be possible.

I'm leaning towards the Anthem SL Classical.

dave_k
05-23-2014, 08:06 AM
My sales rep is trying to push me to consider the:

DPA d:vote™ 4099G Clip Microphone for Guitar

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/products.aspx?c=Item&category=290&item=24343#description

Clearly the latter is pricy, less "built in", and has no volume control. But on the other hand I could use it on multiple guitars.

But does anyone know how it compares to the Lyric/Anthem series with regard to a) sound quality, and b) feedback? Both products claim to be strong in both categories.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Caleb_Elling
06-02-2014, 12:58 PM
I think that the sound quality might be better on the DPA, but it's hard to say. From what I've heard of the DPA's, they are supposed to sound pretty darn good. However, their feedback resistance is generally compared to other external condenser mics. Compared to other external mics, it might be more resistant to feedback, but I would have a difficult time believing that it would beat the Lyric, and definitely not the Anthem on a loud stage.

This is speculation, of course. Having not used a DPA myself, I cannot compare it to the other external instrument mics I have used, and those are mostly dynamic mics and not condensers. Compared to the external mics that I have used, the Lyric and the Anthem are definitely capable of much higher stage volumes without feedback.

dave_k
06-03-2014, 07:06 PM
I think that the sound quality might be better on the DPA, but it's hard to say. From what I've heard of the DPA's, they are supposed to sound pretty darn good. However, their feedback resistance is generally compared to other external condenser mics. Compared to other external mics, it might be more resistant to feedback, but I would have a difficult time believing that it would beat the Lyric, and definitely not the Anthem on a loud stage.

This is speculation, of course. Having not used a DPA myself, I cannot compare it to the other external instrument mics I have used, and those are mostly dynamic mics and not condensers. Compared to the external mics that I have used, the Lyric and the Anthem are definitely capable of much higher stage volumes without feedback.

Thanks again, Caleb!

Yes, I was thinking the same as you.

Plus, the DPA setup seems fragile: the clip holding the mic on seems like it wouldn't be hard to knock off. Plus, how do you put the guitar down and walk off stage? If the jack is clipped onto your belt, then you have to unplug in two places (the guitar side and the house side). If you clip it on the strap, the just seems awkward both to play and to unplug.

Meanwhile, it looks like I might have to pay $125+ to install an under-saddle pickup, as in the Anthem. So I think I might just get the Lyric, which will probably be fine for me for now. And maybe someday I'll get another Classical, and then the Lyric will be more portable to the new instrument.

Thanks again!