View Full Version : Lyric Acoustic Mic for a resonator steel guitar...?

03-01-2013, 08:59 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone any experience with the Lyric Mic System with a steel resonator guitar? I have a Recording King Tri-Cone which I thought might benefit...

03-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Hi Rick,
We are actually working on something to that end, right now. However, without any modification, I can say that the Lyric mic sounds horrible when attached directly to the Reso Cone. The preamp, battery and mic placement are all problems by themselves inside a resonator.

We are working on some ideas, so stay tuned. I wouldn't recommend using the current Lyric on a resonator though.

The Clarksdale Kid
05-28-2013, 01:20 AM
Hi there,I know alot of people would be interested in a Lyric style set-up for resonator guitar, are they still working on such a system as this? I think this would be the ultimate way to amplify reso guitars,

05-28-2013, 01:41 PM
We have some ideas in the works. I'm not sure exactly when anything will be available though.

The Clarksdale Kid
06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the update Caleb, I have a felling it would be worth wait!

01-31-2015, 05:19 AM
We have some ideas in the works. I'm not sure exactly when anything will be available though.

Sorry I asked this question in my first post a few minutes ago - I am working my way through the forum.

I reckon the Lyric mic would need to be located above the cone at the neck position smack dab in the middle of the 'f' holes on a standard reso duolian style steel guitar - the problem is the volume control - you'd need to make a clip in one along the lines of Korg's new rim tuner to fit in the 'f' hole I think...... the input could fit in a lot of spots on the body and there's loadsa room for the battery pack. The main issue is the length of the wiring.......isn't it?

Or an alternative suggestion would be to have preamp module be an external plug in - male to male connection - or use a proprietary plug one end to safe guard your sales!

I'm in the queue to buy one!

02-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Due to the way the mic works, placing it on the top between the f-holes actually doesn't work very well. We've actually had to do some pretty extensive modifications in order to get the mic to work.

I can't say much about how we have been able to make it work, but there are definitely a lot of things to consider. The battery, volume control, preamp, etc. are all components that would either need to be fitted into the instrument, or left in an external box.