PDA

View Full Version : Help with connecting a Para Accoustic DI to a Roland Amp

RonM
08-06-2013, 03:46 PM
I have just received my LR Baggs Para Accoustic DI to be used for my Sitar and I want to connect it to my Roland AC33 Amp. It appears I need to go from an XLR plug on the Para DI to a 3.5mm (1/8") input on the Roland. Is this the correct way to connect them? Will it mean I won't have phantom power for the Para DI? Does it also mean a loss of signal? Is there an alternate way to connect them?

Thanks
Ron

Caleb_Elling
08-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Hi Ron,
I think your best option would be to run the 1/4" output from the DI into the 1/4" input on your amp. This would give you much more control over the volume of the instrument signal. Are you using the XLR input for something else already? If not, you can run the XLR out of the DI into the XLR in on your amp. Either way should produce good results.

RonM
08-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Caleb
Thanks for the quick response! I was intending to use the XLR on the amp for my mic, but thought that the XLR on the Para DI was the correct output as its 'balanced' output as distinct from the other output (1/4"- I see). The other output is 'unbalanced' I wasn't sure what this might mean?
Ron

Caleb_Elling
08-06-2013, 04:27 PM
The unbalanced 1/4" output should be fine for any cable shorter than 20'-30'. Anything longer than that should be balanced in order to keep the signal integrity over longer distances of cable.

In your situation, the 1/4" should be ideal. You will have to run the DI on battery power though.

RonM
08-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Great - thanks Caleb for the help
Ron