Thread: Session + Venue

Session + Venue

Okay, so I am running the Session with the Venue. The Session by itself is good. Combining it with a little extra EQ is better. Does it matter what order I put them in my signal chain. There are no other effects. It's either guitar>Venue>Session, or it's Guitar>Session>Venue. Does it make a difference?

Hey Vancebo,
    That's a really good question. The order that you put your boxes in will make a difference in how they interact with each other. So it is something to consider.

In studio or live mixing, you can usually use EQ before or after compression to get a different effect. You can use EQ first to cut out specific frequencies or add others in that may be lacking. If you go into your multi-band compression after that, depending on your EQ settings, the compression might not need to work as hard. The compression should still be able to smooth out the tone though. In this setup, you may need to set a lower input gain on the Session to allow for any additional volume boost coming from the Venue's Boost switch. However, a lower gain setting on the Session will change the way that the Comp and Saturation interact with the incoming signal.

If you go into the Session first, which is what I prefer, you can get the Session gain optimized for the Saturation and Comp to get the most out of those features. Then you can go into the Venue, adjusting the EQ to fine-tune your overall sound.

So there isn't an absolute answer. I usually recommend trying both to see what you like better.

I hope that helps.

Totally makes sense. Thank You.