Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Baggs preamp

Caleb, thank you for information and advice.

Hi mr. Caleb, i have this godin acousticaster. and its' preamp was broken. is it possible to buy like the who preamp? please lemme know. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan McManus View Post
    The attached image shows where two battery leads connect into the left side of the top edge where it says "- + - +." The first pair is one battery lead, the second pair is another battery lead and the middle two wires are joined by the terminals in the circuit board.

Attachment 20
    Same kind of issue…
    Just thank you so much for th scheme.

Have a nice day

output issue

Hi
    some mystery on my Godin LR Baggs preamp: on the output there is a voltage of about -5V on the tip of the plug. my Schertler Amp naturaly does not like that. Only works, when I put the plug halfway out of the amps input. otherways there's only a little bit of hum and no sound.
    Someone knows what could be wrong? ( its the 18V preamp, all the connections look like on the pictures posted on page 1 of this thread.
    Thanx
    Last edited by TiPi Mods; 09-23-2015 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TiPi Mods View Post
    Hi
    some mystery on my Godin LR Baggs preamp: on the output there is a voltage of about -5V on the tip of the plug. my Schertler Amp naturaly does not like that. Only works, when I put the plug halfway out of the amps input. otherways there's only a little bit of hum and no sound.
    Someone knows what could be wrong? ( its the 18V preamp, all the connections look like on the pictures posted on page 1 of this thread.
    Thanx
    Hi TiPi Mods,
    When you say that the output voltage is -5V, are you referring to the output level? Or are you actually getting DC voltage to measure on your guitar cable?

If you have to unplug the cable half-way from the amp, then there may be something in the guitar jack that is not connecting correctly. That's my first thought at least. I assume you are using new batteries as well, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb_Elling View Post
    Hi TiPi Mods,
    When you say that the output voltage is -5V, are you referring to the output level? Or are you actually getting DC voltage to measure on your guitar cable?

If you have to unplug the cable half-way from the amp, then there may be something in the guitar jack that is not connecting correctly. That's my first thought at least. I assume you are using new batteries as well, right?
    Thanks for your answer:
    yes, I m getting DC voltage on the guitar cable tip...maybe I should say it the other way round,: the guitar cable ground ( ring) is 5V positiv. As the output is blocked with a capacitor there should not be any DC on the tip of the cable, I suppose.
    And yes: fresh batteries, I measured about 18,6 V

when I unplug it half from the amp, it seems that there is no more DC comin in, so it works perfectly, sounds great and loud.

Ok,
    On that system, you should be using a mono, or unbalanced cable. A stereo cable with a dedicated ring contact will not turn the preamp on correctly.

hi, i am using a normal mono guitar cable...I just checked today different amps: with the mixing board everything works fine, with my Fender Blues Junior, sound is very low and distorted, and as said before: my Schertler Acustic amp only works, when I put the plug about halfway in the amp, just as much, as you can feel the tip touching on the inside of the jack.
    but anyway I suppose, there should not be any DC Voltage on the tip.

Distortion from an electric amp, like the Blues Jr. is not uncommon. If the systems works well in a mixer, and with a certain setting on the amp, then there may not be anything wrong at all. The jack on the Schertler is the thing that is still confusing though.

If you are really using a mono/unbalanced cable, then everything should be working fine.

What model Schertler do you have? and what input are you plugging into?

found out the problem: the electrolyt cap at the output was faulty. removed it..no more DC offset. (works also without it, a little less bass because of the smaller ceramic cap in parallel)