Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: LR Baggs Technical Support On The Forum

The PZM mic averages the vibrations of the top, and not just the sound. So essentially, it will reproduce an accurate picture of what the guitar, as a whole, is doing. No matter if the guitar is carbon fiber, wood, with braces, or without braces, it will reproduce the sound of the guitar. If you like the way your carbon fiber guitar sounds acoustically, that's what you'll get with the Lyric, plugged in.

I hear you but the mic is 3 mm above the surface over the entire surface of a carbon guitar, can see how it can hear and average the entire top. Given you have a boundary pressure zone mic, how can it mechanically do exactly the same thing in the same manner in a traditional guitar?

I don't know that I can give you the answer that you are looking for. I just know that the braces are there to modify and control the vibration and overall movement of the top. The Mic picks up the sound from the top by hearing sound from the flat surface that it is mounted on. And the Mic is not at all limited in it's ability to average the top by the braces. It hears the top's overall movement, and not just the section that it's mounted to. I couldn't tell you why. Our use of the PZM technology is slightly non-traditional.

So I can't see any difference happening between a guitar with traditional braces, and one that has no braces.

Thinking about it you are using the pressure zone differently in that in a normal pressure zone mic the plate is static picking up sound. In the Lyric it is dynamic creating the sound. Still would think a flat unobstructed plate would give a little different dynamic, but not as essential since it is not really collecting the sound. Doubt you would even do testing with a flat surface carbon. Bottom line the product works wonderfully, almost magically, maybe leave it at that! For my Doubleneck application I would kick it up to miracle class, balancing 18 strings from a single point. Simply nuts!
    Last edited by 45flint; 02-16-2013 at 01:36 AM.

That is a great conclusion to make! I'm excited to see how many different instruments the Lyric will work on.

I have the Para DI box that is being intermittent in outputting signal and has occasional distorted signal. I noticed that there is one screw (out of 4 possible screws) missing underneath. So there are only 3. Could this be the problem? My battery is strong.

The most that a missing screw can cause is some added ground noise. If there is a problem with the signal cutting in and out, it is likely a problem with a worn out jack or a bad cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb_Elling View Post
    The most that a missing screw can cause is some added ground noise. If there is a problem with the signal cutting in and out, it is likely a problem with a worn out jack or a bad cable.
    Thanks Caleb - Also the red "on" light is permanently on unless I remove the battery. Could that also be jack related? Everything looks clean and fresh and the box has seen minimal use...

Also the place where a screw was missing has a shiny surface to the metal as if to make ground contact...

IMG_1852.jpg

If the light stays on when you don't have anything plugged into the input, then there is probably a short in the jack, or maybe elsewhere in the circuit.

How long have you had it? I can see about getting you a Repair Number, of you are interested in getting your DI fixed.

That is what it's doing. The jack looks fine but who knows. I've had my Para DI for about 5 years. I would like to get it repaired. Any idea on what that would cost?