Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: LR Baggs Technical Support On The Forum

Hey Caleb
    I tried emailing you but my emails kept getting returned so I had no other choice but pm you. Tx in advance.

Hi
    just bought an LR BAGGS M1A and it seems to have low output. When I record in wave the single is lopsided and low. Any ideas?

thanks

vinnieUK

Early Model Para DI FX Loop

Hi, I have an early version of the Para DI (Gain control inside - PCB says REV D).
    I have experimented with the FX loop as a way of feeding a tuner, but it doesn't behave as I would expect. I use a TRS (Stereo) jack with the tip as send and the ring as return, wired to two TS (mono) jacks for connection to the tuner. With the tuner bypassed, things are fine, but when I switch the tuner in, I am still hearing the guitar through the XLR and Jack outputs.

Is the FX loop a true insert connection, i.e. it breaks the signal path if you insert a jack, or is it some kind of parallel loop?
    Your manual (for the current model) says:

"The effects loop interrupts the signal path" which suggests a true insert, while:

"The send (tip) of this connector comes directly from the pure class A discrete input stage of the Para D.I., before the EQ, volume control, invert switch and output driver. Therefore it can be used as an immaculate, unbalanced direct output. It will not be affected by any of the panel controls (with the exception of the gain control). Use a regular mono cable"
    which suggests a parallel loop as putting a mono jack in a true insert point will break away the return as the ring connection is grounded

It also says:
    "You may adjust the amount of effect in the signal by using the controls of the outboard effect" which suggests its a parallel loop and not a true insert.

I am a bit confused.

Can you clarify this for me, I wouldn't mind a quick sketch of the FX loop circuit (not detailed, just a signal flow diag).

Thanks

Steve

I purchased an LR Baggs PARA DI from Guitar Center a couple years ago. I have become dependent on this piece of equipment. It is perfect for shaping the tone of my LR Baggs active I-Beam. However, this box has become quite the noise maker. It will randomly make a loud pop to where I can't trust using it on stage. I know the XLR out doesn't appear to be a real tight connection, but I believe this was always the case. The unit does not show any sign of damage or wear, is it possible to replace the XLR connection or is there a tech doc that addresses this issue?

Thanks for the tip - I had tried that.
    Can you tell me if the fx loop is a true insert that breaks the signal path?
    For example, if I insert a stereo jack that is not wired to anything into the FX loop socket, it should break the signal path as the insert and return are not connected, however I still hear the signal at full strength. I am just concerned that my Para DI is faulty.

Any chance of a quick sketch?

Ta

Steve

The Para DI should have zero output if the FX loop is interrupted without a return signal. Using a cable, TS or TRS, will short the path through the loop.

Hi Caleb, .

Thats what I thought - this does not happen with mine. Can you think of any reason why mine doesn't work this way?

as the FX loop switching is normally done in the Jack Socket all I can assume is that it may be a faulty socket, and as its out of warranty by a long way, I guess the answer is to remove the socket from the board and see if that breaks the signal flow.

Just to confirn that my unit is an early model - as I said Board Rev D, gain control is a preset on the main PCB, not accessible from outside like the current models. Does that make any difference?

A sketch of the FX loop circuit would be lovely tho.......

Thanks for your help

Steve