Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: LR Baggs Technical Support On The Forum

Any ideas from Support? I'd love to hear...

Quote Originally Posted by morgdan View Post
    Hi, I have an Element Active. It sounds great but seems to have a fairly low output level when compared to my other guitar with the same system. Assuming that it is installed correctly (because I've done exhaustive troubleshooting on the installation and so I'm looking for other answers), is there any way with a meter (or otherwise) to actually test the output and see if the problem is possibly in the preamp? (Battery is good, the pickup itself seems to have even response from bass to treble).

I put a volt meter (with the switch at 200m VDC) on a guitar cable plugged in and got these results: 0.4 on the quiet one and 0.8 on the loud one. Does that mean anything? Both guitars give identical readings in ohms (16.8 with the dial at 20K).

Hi Morgdan,

I apologize for the delay.

There are a lot of factors that can influence output from a pickup system installed into a given guitar. If one guitar is short scale(24.75") and one is long(25.5"), and the two guitars have the same gauge strings, you can expect slightly higher tension in the long scale guitar to achieve the same pitch. Also, if one guitar has a taller saddle or a steeper break-angle where the strings lead from the saddle into the pinholes, it can mean more string energy gets into the pickup with that guitar than with the other.

Does the difference in plugged-in output translate into the guitars acoustically, meaning is the guitar that is louder when plugged in also louder when played unplugged with the same intensity?

Hi there, I apologize if my question has been addressed in a previous thread. I am interested in either an M1 Active pick-up or the new M80 and I am not sure what would be the
    best simplistic configuration for me to get the most out of it. Would I need to use a DI, or could I go straight to a PA board from the pick-up. If I needed a DI, would a Baggs Para DI be the best fit or would it's preamp conflict with the M80 used in Active mode? Any thoughts and tips would be appreciated.

Hi Andy,
    The M80 is the newest pickup in our magnetic series and has a very different sound than the M1A. If you are looking for a more natural sound, the M80 is the direction to take, however, a lot of people really like the sound they can get from an M1A. Take a look at our youtube channel to see which you prefer: http://www.youtube.com/user/lrbaggsmedia

It is not necessary to have a DI with either system, but the extra EQ and boost in signal is always a nice option to have. If you are going to be running long cables to the board (30+ feet) it is a good idea to use the DI so the signal is shielded from outside interference. Since our preamps use high quality components the signal stays very clean and therefore there is no negative effect to having them inline with an active pickup. In fact, when we are at trade shows we always run our active systems through a Venue DI.

If any of this isn't clear feel free to respond or give us a call here at the office for further explanation.

-Christian
    805-929-3545

Problem with the strapjack

Hi Bryan. I have a Larrivee with the Element notch system and the contacts in the inside of the strapjack have gone a bit loose so when I use a normal jack i get pop noises all the time if the jack moves a little bit. I'm about to buy a replacement for it but I'm not sure which is the exact piece i need.

The strapjack looks exactly like this (LR Baggs M1-C2):

But in the specs the seller says it's the strapjack for the M1 active or passive pickups. Not sure if you use the same strapjack for my pickup system.

Can you please confirm if this is the right one for replacement.

Thank you.

Hi Isrvel,

I can confirm that the part shown in the picture is the M1C2. It is used by the Element-Notch, both versions of the Stagepro system and all the magnetic sound hole pickups(M1, M1Active and M80).

X-Bridge/Ctrl-X without 3-way toggle switch?

Hi again Bryan,

Hopefully this is the correct place for my question. If possible, I'd like to remove the 3-way toggle switch from my X-Bridge/Ctrl-X setup, and just use the Ctrl-X pot as a blend pot. Is it possible or even advisable to physically remove the switch, or would I be better off just leaving the wiring intact, and simply keep the switch tucked away under the pickguard, set in the middle position?

Thanks.

Banchan

hi i have m1active on my epiphone ej 200 sounds great most of the time just a few times i have to take the low end down on the eq on the mixing desk should i get a preamp and which one would you recommend thanks

Hi Gaelic83,

The M1A, because there is a preamp built into it, does not require a preamp but you can still use one to optimize the signal. Some preamps also have EQ and balanced outputs such as our Para Di and Venue DI. Either of them would be able to apply more gain to your M1A signal and provide EQ for improving the tone. Both also have DI outputs for sending the signal down long leads without inducing noise.

Hi Bryan,
    I'm new and know little about pickups, etc. I just bought a Breedlove guitar with an LR Baggs Element Active VTC pickup. It sounds fairly good when plugged into my PA, but I'd like to know more about it: reading various comments in this forum and elsewhere I see a lot of discussion about piezo pickup problems, mainly a quacking sound. I assume the EA VTC is piezo, right? If there are so many problems why are they used in so many good guitars? Should I use a DI box with this pickup? Would either the Para DI or the Gigpro be the right one to use?
    Thanks,
    Dick