Thread: IBeam with Dual Source

IBeam with Dual Source

New to the forum and searched for an answer to my question but did not find one.
    If there is already a thread on it, a link to that thread would work. thanks
    I recently purchased a used guitar with a dual source system in it. The previous owner replaced the Element with an Ibeam. I noticed in the literature on-line that this is not recommended.
    Can you elaborate on why this is not recommended? Is it a sound issue or a potential for damage of some sort?
    I have the original element and could have it put back in but it sounds pretty good as it is so I hate to mess with it.
    thanks
    Dave

Hi Dave,
    The only reason it is not recommended is because of the potential for feedback. The element pickup is more stable than both the mic and the iBeam which is why it is usually combined in the Dual Source. There isn't any potential for damage to either the guitar or the pickup system. If you have any more questions feel free to respond.

-Christian

Thanks Christian for the quick reply.
    I do have a followup question though.
    Is the feedback with the Ibeam likely to be consistent in frequency from one time to the next (in the same guitar of course) or would it vary with every situation and be across a wide frequency range.
    Another way to look at the same question... can I cut the feedback out using my PADI or will it be too complex and variable?
    I play all fingerstyle, mostly solo so there is not a lot of compounding feedback input.
    Thanks again
    Dave

Hi Dave,

The iBeam's feedback sensitivity will be strongest at the resonant frequency of the soundboard of the particular guitar it's installed in. There should be a certain frequency that the soundboard is most responsive to and it's that frequency which is looping onto itself through the sound system when it comes back out of the speaker and energizes the soundboard again. For this reason, a good notch filter or a device that includes one can go a long way toward keeping the signal stable in a performance environment.

Otherwise, I would consider the iBeam/mini-mic combo to be best for lower-volume performance settings or for recording.
    Last edited by Bryan McManus; 05-16-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: additional content

thanks for the great replies.