Thread: Anthem mic placement in Breedlove with JLD bridge truss system

Anthem mic placement in Breedlove with JLD bridge truss system

Hi, I purchased a used C25 Custom and have tried a couple of pickups that were unsatisfactory. The K&K's sounded muddy in the midrange because the center transducer couldn't be mounted directly beneath the two middle strings due to the JLD bridge truss system. I just tried the M80 last night and I'm sorry but it still sounds too electric.

I know Breedlove is using a variant of the Anthem on their Voice series guitars. Can anyone tell me the exact location where the Anthem microphone element is (or should be) mounted on these instruments? A photo would be extremely nice!
    Best,
    David

I don't have a photo, but the mic is usually placed about 1/4" away from the JLD Truss on the soundhole side.

Further clarification of flexibility in placement of the Tru-Mic - The Tru-Mic doesn't have to go directly opposite the saddle. Since it is a microphone that, by design, behaves much like a PZM or boundary microphone, it can listen to soundboard resonance from near or around the bridge. It's recommended to place the Tru-Mic opposite the saddle for the most immediacy or snap in the attack response but it can be expected to work well and sound good if placed behind the pins. It can even be placed directly on the soundboard if need be due to a lack of bridge plate surface area.

Well, got an Anthem SL and had it installed by a luthier with a sterling reputation. He put it just on the soundhole side of the truss. The string noise is very annoying unless I turn the mic volume down pretty low, then it sounds muddy. Would a preamp help? I have the K&K preamp I use with my 814CE. would that match the impedance of the Anthem?

By the way, I'm feeling it into a Bose ToneMatch mixer and L1 Model 1. I'm using the Baggs IMix profile. Is there a better one?
    Last edited by darndt; 08-29-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Can you clarify what you mean by "string noise"?

I play exclusively fingerstyle. When I pluck the higher frequency strings (B and high-E, most noticeably), the sound of my plucking fingers on the strings produces almost a reverb effect on the tone. I've adjusted the balance between the transducers as well as the tone settings on my mixer with no satisfactory results. I've also changed the saddle and strings. Acoustically, the guitar sounds immaculate. I'd much rather be gigging with it than my Taylor 814CE with K&K pickups but can't due to this issue.
    Last edited by darndt; 10-19-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Anthem mic placement in Breedlove with JLD bridge truss system

Anyone tried one of these that worked out? Advice on placement?

I've installed the Anthem in about a dozen Breedloves, trying a few different things each time, and I've found that placing the mic on the soundhole side of the truss yields the most consistent and stable results.

By "on the soundhole side of the truss", do you mean you place it on the truss itself or on the underside of the saddle just forward of the truss?

The mic always attaches to the top of the guitar, usually the bridge-plate. Since the JLD equipped guitars don't have bridgeplates, the mic can attach directly to the top. Just make sure that the mic itself isn't making contact with the truss in order to isolate it from potential rattle.