Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lyric?

Hybrid View

Lyric?

When will the lyric be available? I'm about to buy a new guitar and need a pickup. I loved the anthem, but
    the lyric sounds like it might be better for me. Don't want to put in an anthem and have the lyric come out in a month or two, but I really can't wait too long to put a pickup in the guitar.
    Thanks

Hey Smalls,
    The Lyric is scheduled to start shipping towards the beginning of February, and it will sell for $199. Not all of our dealers have pre-ordered yet, but we will have online dealers who will have stock shortly after the ship date. You can also talk to your local LR Baggs dealer about getting a Lyric pre-ordered.

Well, I might as well broach this topic first, Caleb.

Is Lyric an updated improvement of the Anthem (doing away withe UST which, to some ears, muffles the acoustic sound ever so slightly, and the minor hassles of installation and adjustment), or a compromise product that simply gives better better sound than anything else except Anthem?

Might it reach feedback level sooner; thus limiting it to lower volume applications?

If it's as good as Anthem, then there is no need for Anthem anymore.

I'm a big Anthem booster. So this inquiry is not meant to "flame" in any way. Just an inquiry from an interested fan and customer.

Brent

Brent,
    The Lyric is definitely based on the Anthem. It doesn't have the UST, so it isn't as resistant to feedback at higher volumes. It's feedback resistance is better than soundboard transducers, but not quite as good as under-saddle transducers. So for a standalone mic, it is much more usable than any other mic designed for live use.

So the Anthem maintains the feedback resistance by its under-saddle pickup, and the Lyric is easier to install and sounds more well-rounded and, in my opinion, more natural.

The mics in each system are different too. The Lyric mic capsules are tested for a certain set of parameters that match the Lyric preamp. The Anthem mics are tested for qualities in the same way, but for the Anthem preamp.

I hope that helps.

I suppose a lot of folks are curious about this new system. I'm a fingerstyle player, solo gigs only. I play through a PA, and soon to buy a Fishman 220 for a more portable alternative. So, low volume (at least from where I sit) therefore feedback is not an issue. I've been playing a guitar with a RTS II in it, which as I understand has been preempted by the Element Active system. I play through a Venue DI. But...as I read through the overwhelming variety of choices of pickups/ transducers/ mics on the Baggs site I'm beginning to think that my style would be better served by something like the Lyric.

That said...in February I should take delivery of my new (to me) Santa Cruz custom H-model all-mahogany guitar. The guitar will be used for living room play and for gigs as I described above (solo fingerstyle). If you were to recommend a pickup for me...would this be it? Or would I be better served by a different system? Too many choices and I ned the guidance (and expense and ease of installation is not an issue - compared to the price of the guitar the pup will be negligible regardless).

Waiting for the Lyric to be released

I'm waiting for the Lyric as well. I have an Anthem in my Martin M36, and just acquired a 68' Gibson J-45 - no rush, but I'll eventually be installing a pick up in it. I'm wondering how a sound hole feedback buster will affect the tonal qualities of the Mic.

I love the Anthem, but I'm currently employing a Fishman Aura to add a little transparency to the UST sound of the Element portion.

L.R. Baggs rule in the pickup area - I wonder why they never decided to go into the Microphone Modeling racket like the D-TAR or Aura?

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb_Elling View Post
    The mics in each system are different too. The Lyric mic capsules are actually ones that we can't use for the Anthem because they have too much low frequency information. So the mics aren't interchangeable.
    Although I understand this I don't really get it. So the Lyric is a better sounding (much form what I have heard) mic that has a lot of low frequency information. It sure seems that with the adjustable crossover idea in the Anthem this could easily be extended to roll off any low freq excess and accommodate the Lyric giving us all UST when feedback is the primary driver, all Mic when desirable or anything in between.

In my main gig guitar I can not have a system that might not work (due to feedback) especially in an environment where I have little control. The K&K mini by itself has let me down quite spectacularly in that way already :-)

Are there any plans to at some point release an Anthem II with Lyric mic?
    Last edited by Ivan Lee; 02-02-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Missing bottom end?

Brent,
    The Lyric is definitely based on the Anthem. It doesn't have the UST, so it isn't as resistant to feedback at higher volumes. It's feedback resistance is better than soundboard transducers, but not quite as good as under-saddle transducers. So for a standalone mic, it is much more usable than any other mic designed for live use.

So the Anthem maintains the feedback resistance by its under-saddle pickup, and the Lyric is easier to install and sounds more well-rounded and, in my opinion, more natural.

The mics in each system are different too. The Lyric mic capsules are tested for a certain set of parameters that match the Lyric preamp. The Anthem mics are tested for qualities in the same way, but for the Anthem preamp.

I hope that helps.
    I'm looking to amplify my classical. The lyric sounded appealing until reviews pointed out that it lacks the bottom end because it has no ust and because its preamp explicitly chops it off in an effort to reduce feedback so you can't even compensate via eq. That would bother me. If I'm willing to go through the extra installation hassle, does the Anthem not give me the best of both worlds by allowing more bottom end? (I'm not concerned about feedback)

Thanks in advance!

Hey Dave,
    The Anthem SL Classical would definitely be the best of both worlds when comparing mics and undersaddle pickups. It has a very natural tone, but maintains excellent dynamics and feedback resistance. The pickup does add a little more bottom end, but that's more in the attack of the note, and not in the actual frequency response.

I personally haven't encountered a situation where the Lyric "chopped off" the low frequencies to the point of sounding unnatural, but I usually play through full range PA systems. I've found that you will loose a bit more low end when you play through standalone amplifiers, but that is generally the case with any kind of microphone (especially vocal mics). So I prefer a PA system.

I personally use the Anthem SL instead of the Lyric for my own guitars, but I will not argue that the Lyric is very likely the most natural sounding solution for acoustic amplification. I like the added "punch" that you get from the pickup in the SL. It's not exactly "natural", but it does help to cut through the mix a little more when I'm playing with a band.

I hope that helps.

Hey Dave,
    The Anthem SL Classical would definitely be the best of both worlds when comparing mics and undersaddle pickups. It has a very natural tone, but maintains excellent dynamics and feedback resistance. The pickup does add a little more bottom end, but that's more in the attack of the note, and not in the actual frequency response.

I personally haven't encountered a situation where the Lyric "chopped off" the low frequencies to the point of sounding unnatural, but I usually play through full range PA systems. I've found that you will loose a bit more low end when you play through standalone amplifiers, but that is generally the case with any kind of microphone (especially vocal mics). So I prefer a PA system.

I personally use the Anthem SL instead of the Lyric for my own guitars, but I will not argue that the Lyric is very likely the most natural sounding solution for acoustic amplification. I like the added "punch" that you get from the pickup in the SL. It's not exactly "natural", but it does help to cut through the mix a little more when I'm playing with a band.

I hope that helps.
    Caleb, thanks. I was hoping you'd chime in. Your comments are very helpful. And while I'm still not sure which way to go, that's about as thorough a commentary as I could ask for. I only wish I could try out both, even on another guitar, before I chose. But I don't see any way that's going to be possible.

I'm leaning towards the Anthem SL Classical.