Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lyric?

Missing bottom end?

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb_Elling View Post
    Brent,
    The Lyric is definitely based on the Anthem. It doesn't have the UST, so it isn't as resistant to feedback at higher volumes. It's feedback resistance is better than soundboard transducers, but not quite as good as under-saddle transducers. So for a standalone mic, it is much more usable than any other mic designed for live use.

So the Anthem maintains the feedback resistance by its under-saddle pickup, and the Lyric is easier to install and sounds more well-rounded and, in my opinion, more natural.

The mics in each system are different too. The Lyric mic capsules are tested for a certain set of parameters that match the Lyric preamp. The Anthem mics are tested for qualities in the same way, but for the Anthem preamp.

I hope that helps.
    I'm looking to amplify my classical. The lyric sounded appealing until reviews pointed out that it lacks the bottom end because it has no ust and because its preamp explicitly chops it off in an effort to reduce feedback so you can't even compensate via eq. That would bother me. If I'm willing to go through the extra installation hassle, does the Anthem not give me the best of both worlds by allowing more bottom end? (I'm not concerned about feedback)

Thanks in advance!

You Will have a very good sound with lyric. Dont Know the anthem but no doubt that it was also a very good way.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L4CsQySg7HE
    Last edited by Diabolik33; 05-15-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Hey Dave,
    The Anthem SL Classical would definitely be the best of both worlds when comparing mics and undersaddle pickups. It has a very natural tone, but maintains excellent dynamics and feedback resistance. The pickup does add a little more bottom end, but that's more in the attack of the note, and not in the actual frequency response.

I personally haven't encountered a situation where the Lyric "chopped off" the low frequencies to the point of sounding unnatural, but I usually play through full range PA systems. I've found that you will loose a bit more low end when you play through standalone amplifiers, but that is generally the case with any kind of microphone (especially vocal mics). So I prefer a PA system.

I personally use the Anthem SL instead of the Lyric for my own guitars, but I will not argue that the Lyric is very likely the most natural sounding solution for acoustic amplification. I like the added "punch" that you get from the pickup in the SL. It's not exactly "natural", but it does help to cut through the mix a little more when I'm playing with a band.

I hope that helps.

As an added note, I've played the Lyric Classical several times, and I have always been impressed with how natural it sounds, even at higher volumes.

Hey Dave,
    The Anthem SL Classical would definitely be the best of both worlds when comparing mics and undersaddle pickups. It has a very natural tone, but maintains excellent dynamics and feedback resistance. The pickup does add a little more bottom end, but that's more in the attack of the note, and not in the actual frequency response.

I personally haven't encountered a situation where the Lyric "chopped off" the low frequencies to the point of sounding unnatural, but I usually play through full range PA systems. I've found that you will loose a bit more low end when you play through standalone amplifiers, but that is generally the case with any kind of microphone (especially vocal mics). So I prefer a PA system.

I personally use the Anthem SL instead of the Lyric for my own guitars, but I will not argue that the Lyric is very likely the most natural sounding solution for acoustic amplification. I like the added "punch" that you get from the pickup in the SL. It's not exactly "natural", but it does help to cut through the mix a little more when I'm playing with a band.

I hope that helps.
    Caleb, thanks. I was hoping you'd chime in. Your comments are very helpful. And while I'm still not sure which way to go, that's about as thorough a commentary as I could ask for. I only wish I could try out both, even on another guitar, before I chose. But I don't see any way that's going to be possible.

I'm leaning towards the Anthem SL Classical.

Lyric or Anthem vs. DPA 4099G?

My sales rep is trying to push me to consider the:

DPA d:vote™ 4099G Clip Microphone for Guitar

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/pro...43#description

Clearly the latter is pricy, less "built in", and has no volume control. But on the other hand I could use it on multiple guitars.

But does anyone know how it compares to the Lyric/Anthem series with regard to a) sound quality, and b) feedback? Both products claim to be strong in both categories.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I think that the sound quality might be better on the DPA, but it's hard to say. From what I've heard of the DPA's, they are supposed to sound pretty darn good. However, their feedback resistance is generally compared to other external condenser mics. Compared to other external mics, it might be more resistant to feedback, but I would have a difficult time believing that it would beat the Lyric, and definitely not the Anthem on a loud stage.

This is speculation, of course. Having not used a DPA myself, I cannot compare it to the other external instrument mics I have used, and those are mostly dynamic mics and not condensers. Compared to the external mics that I have used, the Lyric and the Anthem are definitely capable of much higher stage volumes without feedback.

I think that the sound quality might be better on the DPA, but it's hard to say. From what I've heard of the DPA's, they are supposed to sound pretty darn good. However, their feedback resistance is generally compared to other external condenser mics. Compared to other external mics, it might be more resistant to feedback, but I would have a difficult time believing that it would beat the Lyric, and definitely not the Anthem on a loud stage.

This is speculation, of course. Having not used a DPA myself, I cannot compare it to the other external instrument mics I have used, and those are mostly dynamic mics and not condensers. Compared to the external mics that I have used, the Lyric and the Anthem are definitely capable of much higher stage volumes without feedback.
    Thanks again, Caleb!

Yes, I was thinking the same as you.

Plus, the DPA setup seems fragile: the clip holding the mic on seems like it wouldn't be hard to knock off. Plus, how do you put the guitar down and walk off stage? If the jack is clipped onto your belt, then you have to unplug in two places (the guitar side and the house side). If you clip it on the strap, the just seems awkward both to play and to unplug.

Meanwhile, it looks like I might have to pay $125+ to install an under-saddle pickup, as in the Anthem. So I think I might just get the Lyric, which will probably be fine for me for now. And maybe someday I'll get another Classical, and then the Lyric will be more portable to the new instrument.

Thanks again!