Thread: Gain Staging: Gigpro/Mixpro & Para DI

Gain Staging: Gigpro/Mixpro & Para DI

Hi All,

I recently acquired the Pick-up the World #54 and anyone who has one knows they are low power and need preamplification early in the chain. I was planning on using the Gigpro to preamp it and feed it to my Para DI for any detailed EQ before sending it to the PA. I assumed I wouldn't need to use as much gain on the PADI if I boosted it at the belt clip initially, but I was advised that I should use a passive DI instead of the Para as I was risking having too many gain stages and just ruining everything. Does anyone have any insight to this? Anyone successfully use the Gigpro and the PADI and have any tips?

I'm also considering adding the LB6 to the mix if I find the PUTW a little to quiet or feedback prone. My solution was to wire the LB6 to its endpin in stereo and use the MixPro to dial it in before feeding it to the PADI. Again, any thoughts on that or experience with similar setups?
    Last edited by MrErikJ; 11-03-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Hey MrErikJ,
    That setup should be fine as long as you optimize your gain at the Gigpro/Mixpro before going into the Para DI. The Para DI can then be set to a minimum gain level to keep the noise floor down and give you the EQ function that you need.

Since all of those preamps have low noise levels, you shouldn't have any trouble "double-amping" your signal. It's pretty much the same theory as running an active system like the Element or Anthem into the Para DI, which people do all the time.

Thanks! Do you know if the LB6 will work in stereo with a SBT in this situation? They both require a 10 megaohm preamp, so I can't imagine there being any issue wiring these in stereo and blending them with the MixPro. I know people have used the LB6 in dual source settings for a long time, but I wasn't sure if there were any issues to watch out for.

The Mixpro should work perfectly with that setup. The LB6 should give you punch and strength, while the PUTW will probably give you the warmth and softness of the guitar.

It should be a really nice setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb_Elling View Post
    The Mixpro should work perfectly with that setup. The LB6 should give you punch and strength, while the PUTW will probably give you the warmth and softness of the guitar.

It should be a really nice setup.
    I was hoping for that. The PUTW sounds good and is minimally invasive, but I don't want to count on it for all applications. I prefer the sound and acoustic properties of an intra-saddle pickup like the LB6 to a standard UST as they are a little less "quacky" and produce more output. I was considering the M1 passive, but I think I'd prefer the more "acoustic" string sensing of the LB6 to the "magnetic" M1 sensing. As a fingerpicker who may do larger and smaller settings, I think this is a pretty ideal passive setup.

I'll post an update when I get it all pulled together.

Sounds good, Erik!