Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: merging lyric microphone pickup with a pre installed L.R. Baggs magnetic pickup

merging lyric microphone pickup with a pre installed L.R. Baggs magnetic pickup

Hi

I have recently purchased a Larrivee guitar OM model which has an L.R.Baggs magnetic pickups installed in it.

The problem I have is that I incorporate a lot of body percussion in my playing which the pickup does not pickup. lol

Would I be able to hook up the lyric microphone pickup to the one already in my guitar and run it through the same single jack output?

Cheers

Matthew Dames

Hey Matthew,
    Do you know if the pickup in the guitar is active or passive? The Passive M1 can be used on the same jack as the Lyric, but the M1 Active can not. You will only be able to use a stereo output though, which will require either two channels on an amps or PA, or a blending preamp.

same problem

I have the same problem on my brand new Martin Hd28. I have installed myself the Lyric, but then I asked to a "my" luthier if he could connect my passive M1 to the Lyric endpin jack preamp to get a stereo signal for my Headaway edb-1 preamp (it has a stereo in to re-separate signals and handle the gains separately), and he said it's impossbile. As far as I understood, he mainteined the active pickups like the Lyric cannot be a part of a double pickup system with stereo output, beacause of something to do with the battery switch. What can I do (except change the luthier ?

Just tell your Luther that the Lyric is designed to add a passive magnetic pickup to the ring of the jack without interfering with the Lyric signal. There is a spot on the PC board for a signal lead and a ground lead from the magnetic pickup. The signal lead from the pickup wires to the round solder pad, and the ground lead goes to the square solder pad.

If you were trying to add the M1 Active, it would not work.

tnx

Thanks a lot. I just wanted to thank the lrbaggs to be the most innovative company always searching for best solutions tonobtain pickups that sounds like a microphone. Since the ibeam, then the m1, anthem and now the lyric. And because you all are so professional and always answer to my questions so clearly and quickly. Thanks a lot from southern italy

Caleb, just picked up a Lyric for installation to my Larrivee (1975). I spoke with Bryan about this issue and he said it IS possible. However, as you see in the attached there is no round solder pad though there does SEEM to be a square one. Can you direct me correctly here?

photo.jpgphoto(1).jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Caleb_Elling View Post
    Just tell your Luther that the Lyric is designed to add a passive magnetic pickup to the ring of the jack without interfering with the Lyric signal. There is a spot on the PC board for a signal lead and a ground lead from the magnetic pickup. The signal lead from the pickup wires to the round solder pad, and the ground lead goes to the square solder pad.

On the serial# side of the preamp, there is a square pad, and a round hole. The ground goes to the square pad and the signal goes into the round hole. Sorry for the confusion.

On the serial# side of the preamp, there is a square pad, and a round hole. The ground goes to the square pad and the signal goes into the round hole. Sorry for the confusion.
    Thanks much for this, soldered in a magnetic pickup very easily, over the weekend, works great, no cross talk, great separation of signals in dual channel preamp. Using it just to augment the bass a little. Steve
    Last edited by 45flint; 08-20-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Keeping undersaddle Pickup

Hi Caleb - I am new to this forum and have just bought a Lyric. I am interested in whether the Fishman undersaddle pickup which my guitar currently has, but doesn't sound that great, could be still connected to the spare pads to take the signal out but obviously it would have to go to an external (powered) pre-amp to be able to be used? Is that correct? I would rather not rip it out completely and just have an option for somewhere down the line. Thanks. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwdjones View Post
    Hi Caleb - I am new to this forum and have just bought a Lyric. I am interested in whether the Fishman undersaddle pickup which my guitar currently has, but doesn't sound that great, could be still connected to the spare pads to take the signal out but obviously it would have to go to an external (powered) pre-amp to be able to be used? Is that correct? I would rather not rip it out completely and just have an option for somewhere down the line. Thanks. Mike
    Hey Mike,
    Welcome to the forum! What Fishman pickup do you currently have? If the pickup can be used passively (as recommended by Fishman), then there should bo no problem connecting it to the Lyric preamp for stereo output. If the pickup requires it's own internal preamp, then it would not work.

If you're not sure, you can tell me the model and I can find out that information for you.