Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyric install: low signal strength

The Lyric usually has a very low noise level, even with the presence all the way up. .

If you ever want to send it in for warranty repair or replacement, let me know. If you got it to work, that's great. It doesn't sound to me like everything is working the way that it should though.

Thanks Caleb, I'll keep that in mind.

My most recent theory on this is that the Lyric isn't necessarily noisy. But I'm gaining it up to 3 o'clock and the volume to 3 o'clock on the Artist... maybe the Artist gets a bit noisy up there. Conversely, the K&K isn't noisy at all... but then the gain is set at 9 o'clock, I wouldn't expect it to be. I think it gets back to the original issue: the Lyric signal strength seems low compared to a handful of other pickups I've ran through the Artist.

I have been thinking about getting another Lyric for a different guitar... they're on sale at Shoreline right now (15% off, coupon code springpickups). If I did that, I could swap out the lyric I have now with the new one and see if there is any difference. If there is, then I could send it in. At least then I wouldn't be without my guitar (with pickup) for more than few hours. I've read on AGF that others have had warrantee issues, some have suggested there are manufacturing inconsistencies in the electronics.

Thanks.
    Ryan

We have a lot of tests that we implement for every aspect of the Lyric components. However, as with every type of acoustic pickup, there are a lot of variables in the instrument. So we are trying to calibrate for a "universally natural" sound, while keeping our components as consistent as possible.

If you end up trying another Lyric in that guitar, I would be very interested in the results.

Is there any calibration that the end user can do? Any way I could gain it up some?

No, the preamp is very specifically tuned to achieve the highest signal to noise ratio. Because of this, the noise that you are hearing is what strikes me as odd.

I just installed my new Lyric into my Taylor Dn3 today (BTW, thank you Taylor for shipping your instruments with an endpen hole with a wide enough width that requires no reaming).
    This may seem like a bit of silly advice, but i thought I would pass it on.
    The endpin jack is a really tight fit. When I made sure it was all the way snug in, I had no problen with volume.
    I am running straight through a Laney L65D acoustic amp. all controls flat.
    Sounds like the Taylor unplugged, gain at about 4 and volume no more than five can fill a large room. I turned it up to eight and still no buzz or distortion, without usinf feedback or pad.
    Love the Lyric (and the Laney, and the Taylor.

I just installed a Lyric in a Taylor 714 yesterday and I am very disappointed with the low end and output level as well. I've been using an iMix with Taylor 414 for several years and the iMix works great for my finger style playing.. I understand that the iMix and Lyric are completely different technologies but, I definitely have buyers remorse after buying the Lyric and being able to compare the two. The 714 is an older (2005) that sounds great unplugged so I thought it would be a good candidate for a microphone pickup system. I looked long and hard at both the Anthem and the Lyric however, I wish I would have either went with the Anthem or another iMix for my 714. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get that great sounding bottom end and gain in my situation? I was thinking about the Para DI but, it doesn't sound like rschultz had any luck with that combination.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm about to ready to resign to the fact that I threw $200 out the window. The Lyric has no punch whatsoever. I've tweaked the presence control with numerous combinations and amplifications combo's and it is definitely the pickup. I would say that this pickup is definitely not a finger style players pickup. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks,

Para DI should help, I just like the venue better. The Lyric is a great pickup but is weak in the low end. I like to pair mine with a K&K Pure Mini. The other thing about the Lyric is that adjusting the presence is important... it can get really harsh if the presence is too much.